Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Plywood Quality

On May 25, 10:44 am, "efgh" wrote:

All the more reason to use solid wood instead of plywood.- Hide quoted text -

You bet. At about $5.5 a bf for clear birch here, that would make the
material cost around $450 when you include sales tax and a tiny bit of
waste. Makes great sense.

Then of course, you get to do the monster layup. I don't know if you
have ever glued up a really wide,long section of wood, but it can be
really hard to control well once you get past about 16" when doing
larger lengths. Plus with the crappy, poorly dried and conditioned
product we are sold today, my personal experience is that a really
large glue up is more of an adventure than an exercise in skill.

But - think of all the extra time in the shop doing glue ups! Extra
shop time for a much more difficult project, 5 times the price for
material... what's not to like?

Robert