Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Solar Flaire Solar Flaire is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

So you just threw the term in to confuse the issue then?

US code is not my strong point. Most of the weird stuff will not pass
in Canada where the standards are classically higher.

wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:02:19 -0500, "Solar Flaire"
wrote:

OK y'all got me now. What is SDS?

I don't necessarily agree with switching all conductors in all cases
and I think it is for the reason you have stated. I am not positive
on
this one but I think there are no exceptions, bonded or not.

If the neutral is never bonded then a back feed can never
happen...hmmmmm. But then if a conductor isn't bonded then it
requires
overcurrent protection, isolation and must be continuously ground
detected too.... they win.

Separately Derived System. If that term is not familiar to you, code
is not your strong point.
That is another source of power that mimics a utility, in
particular,
one with the ground and neutral that are bonded. You can also
connect
a generator with ground and neutral that are not bonded. In that
case
the bonding jumper in your service with accomplish the same thing
and
you do not switch the neutral in your transfer equipment. In any
case
you want one and only one bonding jumper in the system at any time.

This has to do with parallel grounding paths and has nothing to do
with backfeeding the grid. Your double pole double throw switching
device does that. and it can legally be accomplished with 2 breakers
that are mechanically interlocked. The code does not specify things
that are legal or illegal. The only requirement is that each path is
mutually exclusive.