Posted to alt.home.repair
chrisexv6 chrisexv6 is offline

Default Looking for a pressure washer.....

On May 20, 11:03 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:54:34 -0700, dean wrote:
On May 20, 10:46 pm, dean wrote:
On May 19, 5:58 pm, chrisexv6 wrote:

On May 19, 4:59 pm, wf3h wrote:

chrisexv6 wrote:
Wanting to buy a gas poweredpressurewasher. Read the myths, etc
(psi isnt always the most important feature, etc). and now am picking
a brand and model.

Costco and Sams carry decent Karcher models,

Looking for a PW myself. Wal Mart sells the Karcher. I just need one
to clean the house siding (painted wood). Karcher 1500 PSI is $95.
Would this be adequate?

Ive used apressurewasheronce so far. Borrowed a 1300 psi electric
unit. Had to clean our 17'x40' deck. It took me 12 hours ofpressure
washing to clean the wood off enough to seal. Because of that, I
would never try an electric again. I may just be jaded, but since I
need to buy one now, and from that one experience, Im going to buy a
gas one and spend the money to get a decent one.

If by "clean" the siding you mean just get rid of mold/mildew, the
electric might work OK. If you want to remove paint, you'll probably
be better off with a gas powered unit.

Im thinking apressurewasheris one of those things you dont need
until you have it, then you come up with a neverending list of things
you can do with it.

-Chris

HD sells the Dewalt gas washers - I just bought one after years of a
smaller gas model. This new one is 13HP GX powered commercial pump
(3500psi, 4gpm) and truly a pleasure to use, quiet, smooth, powerful,
quick connects on wand, which is a real plus when you have to move the
thing around a lot. Its $1000, though there is a smaller but similar
build Dewalt for $700.

HTH

Dean (2000 sq ft of deck)- Hide quoted text -

Note that you can rent thatwasherin HD for $1300 per month LOL!

Damn I'm going to rent one tomorrow.

I think Ive narrowed down the choices, each with their own pros and
cons.

1. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1274_200241274,
because it comes with a Comet pump with ceramic plungers
2.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11205327&search=pressure%20was her&Sp=S&Mo=3&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_Sig nDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=pressure%20washe r&Ntt=pressure%20washer&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpart ial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
because it comes with the Costco "return it anytime forever"
warranty
3. Dewalt dp 3100, because it comes with a CAT pump and commercial
Honda engine, but the price is a real stretch. Figure 585 + tax, with
12 months 0% financing

Any opinions on the 3? I know #3 is the best, but I cant completely
justify spending so much. Id really like the Costco one, but I
*still* havent heard anything (good or bad) about Karchers current
pump models. Even tried calling some of the service centers and they
were fairly non-helpful. Northern one seems to be decent at least,
Comet seems to be a decent pump and they threw in some of the upgraded
features (like ceramic plungers and a thermal relief valve), just hate
to have to pay shipping and its "interesting" that you have to put the
whole thing together (including mounting the engine on the frame). Im
wondering if its a really nice washer in disguise, the price being
kept low because of the fact you need to assemble it, it doesnt come
with all 5 tips (just 2), etc.

Any addiotnal advice would be helpful!

-Chris