Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a pressure washer.....

Wanting to buy a gas powered pressure washer. Read the myths, etc
(psi isnt always the most important feature, etc). and now am picking
a brand and model.

Costco and Sams carry decent Karcher models, the only thing Im unsure
of is the pump....its built by Karcher, so its probably a couple steps
above the HD-type models, but not as good as Cat (or maybe even AR?)

Lowes has a decent Toro (or maybe it was Troy Bilt?), 2500 psi 2.7GPM
with what looks to be an AR pump. Comparing that to a Karcher 3000
psi 2.5GPM with Karcher pump, what might be the better model? The
engines are a wash, they both come with Honda GC series. The Lowes
model is actually a little cheaper, I assume because of the less psi
(which may or may not be a huge deal). I might be able to use the
extra psi, as I plan to remove stains from concrete, etc. with it, but
Im not sure if the 500 psi is worth getting a lesser brand pump.

So in a nutshell, how are Karcher pumps? If they are good it seems
the Costco model might be the best fit, otherwise the Lowes one seems
to be good.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

chrisexv6 wrote:
..or maybe it was Troy Bilt?...

TroyBilt lives no more. MTD bought the name.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah knew that, but wasnt sure if MTD still builds the stuff under
their name. I still have a Bolens tractor back when it was really
Bolens along with a Bolens snowblower that Ill be selling soon.

Either way, Im not enamored by brand names anymore.......rather get
some "real" information from people who own the stuff, regardless of
the brand name stamped on it.

-Chris

On May 19, 3:29 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
chrisexv6 wrote:
..or maybe it was Troy Bilt?...

TroyBilt lives no more. MTD bought the name.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

chrisexv6 wrote:
Wanting to buy a gas powered pressure washer. Read the myths, etc
(psi isnt always the most important feature, etc). and now am picking
a brand and model.

Costco and Sams carry decent Karcher models,

Looking for a PW myself. Wal Mart sells the Karcher. I just need one
to clean the house siding (painted wood). Karcher 1500 PSI is $95.
Would this be adequate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:59 pm, wf3h wrote:
chrisexv6 wrote:
Wanting to buy a gas powered pressure washer. Read the myths, etc
(psi isnt always the most important feature, etc). and now am picking
a brand and model.

Costco and Sams carry decent Karcher models,

Looking for a PW myself. Wal Mart sells the Karcher. I just need one
to clean the house siding (painted wood). Karcher 1500 PSI is $95.
Would this be adequate?

Ive used a pressure washer once so far. Borrowed a 1300 psi electric
unit. Had to clean our 17'x40' deck. It took me 12 hours of pressure
washing to clean the wood off enough to seal. Because of that, I
would never try an electric again. I may just be jaded, but since I
need to buy one now, and from that one experience, Im going to buy a
gas one and spend the money to get a decent one.

If by "clean" the siding you mean just get rid of mold/mildew, the
electric might work OK. If you want to remove paint, you'll probably
be better off with a gas powered unit.

Im thinking a pressure washer is one of those things you dont need
until you have it, then you come up with a neverending list of things
you can do with it.

-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
chrisexv6 wrote:

If by "clean" the siding you mean just get rid of mold/mildew, the
electric might work OK. If you want to remove paint, you'll probably
be better off with a gas powered unit.

I'm looking at an electrical one largely to powerwash driveway and
the crap on the pool deck from the winter. Anyone think electric would
work for that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience indicates that the garden hose with a good spray tip
is stronger than an electric.

GPM and gasoline engine power are the only way.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article
.com,
chrisexv6 wrote:

If by "clean" the siding you mean just get rid of mold/mildew,
the
electric might work OK. If you want to remove paint, you'll
probably
be better off with a gas powered unit.

I'm looking at an electrical one largely to powerwash
driveway and
the crap on the pool deck from the winter. Anyone think electric
would
work for that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman writes:

In article .com,
chrisexv6 wrote:

If by "clean" the siding you mean just get rid of mold/mildew, the
electric might work OK. If you want to remove paint, you'll probably
be better off with a gas powered unit.

I'm looking at an electrical one largely to powerwash driveway and
the crap on the pool deck from the winter. Anyone think electric would
work for that?

For my asphalt driveway I use a backpack blower.
I don't think I'd use a powerwasher on it,
I'd loose too much material. A cement driveway would
be OK.

I use an electric powerwasher on my deck, pool deck,
pool railings, siding, brick walks.
It's great for that stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 May 2007 10:03:34 -0700, chrisexv6 wrote:

[...]

Check the Karcher thread a couple days back.

My PW is an Ex-Cell brand with a brass CatPump. Since circa "92-'94;
when I bought it. I fixed the carb once. It runs perfectly right now.

The brand name has changed - I think.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 5:58 pm, chrisexv6 wrote:
On May 19, 4:59 pm, wf3h wrote:

chrisexv6 wrote:
[...]

HD sells the Dewalt gas washers - I just bought one after years of a
smaller gas model. This new one is 13HP GX powered commercial pump
(3500psi, 4gpm) and truly a pleasure to use, quiet, smooth, powerful,
quick connects on wand, which is a real plus when you have to move the
thing around a lot. Its $1000, though there is a smaller but similar
build Dewalt for $700.

HTH

Dean (2000 sq ft of deck)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:59 pm, wf3h wrote:

chrisexv6 wrote:
[...]

Dean (2000 sq ft of deck)- Hide quoted text -

Note that you can rent that washer in HD for $1300 per month LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I noticed that some of the Excell washers came with cat pumps.
unfortunately those are also the ones that no one seems to be selling,
even used.

Some of the Excells at HD seem to have AR pumps on them, not as nice
as CAT but not too bad. Again I wanted to compare it all to a Karcher
pump, because I havent been able to find any brands locally other than
the Excell/AR and some commercial models with CAT pumps (which are too
large and expensive for my taste anyway).

-Chris

On May 20, 4:50 pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

"I don't have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive somebody who really loves it."- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 4:59 pm, wf3h wrote:

chrisexv6 wrote:
[...]

Damn I'm going to rent one tomorrow.

I think Ive narrowed down the choices, each with their own pros and
cons.

1. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1274_200241274,
because it comes with a Comet pump with ceramic plungers
2.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11205327&search=pressure%20was her&Sp=S&Mo=3&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_Sig nDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=pressure%20washe r&Ntt=pressure%20washer&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpart ial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
because it comes with the Costco "return it anytime forever"
warranty
3. Dewalt dp 3100, because it comes with a CAT pump and commercial
Honda engine, but the price is a real stretch. Figure 585 + tax, with
12 months 0% financing

Any opinions on the 3? I know #3 is the best, but I cant completely
justify spending so much. Id really like the Costco one, but I
*still* havent heard anything (good or bad) about Karchers current
pump models. Even tried calling some of the service centers and they
were fairly non-helpful. Northern one seems to be decent at least,
Comet seems to be a decent pump and they threw in some of the upgraded
features (like ceramic plungers and a thermal relief valve), just hate
to have to pay shipping and its "interesting" that you have to put the
whole thing together (including mounting the engine on the frame). Im
wondering if its a really nice washer in disguise, the price being
kept low because of the fact you need to assemble it, it doesnt come
with all 5 tips (just 2), etc.

Any addiotnal advice would be helpful!

-Chris

Pressure washer - no high pressure dean Home Repair 13 March 30th 09 06:55 PM
Low Output Pressure on Generac Pressure Washer Arnie Goetchius Home Repair 6 June 7th 06 01:23 AM
Pressure Washer? noxpurt Woodworking 7 May 15th 06 06:33 PM
Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec. lbbss Electronics Repair 4 August 14th 05 05:29 PM
Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec. [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 12th 05 07:55 PM