Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Strange electrical problem

On Wed, 23 May 2007 07:19:24 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Some folks have indicated that these things may be fed from the load of a
gfcI device, that you haven't found, and this is possible, but easily
determined. With a basic continuity tester, test between the neutral
conductor and ground If you GET continuity, it's NOT fed from a tripped
gfci. If you don't get continuity, check the same thing between the hot and
ground.

He should first measure the voltage between hot and ground or he may
burn out his continuity tester, and may knock himself off the ladder
when the thing gives a big spark.

Unless he is positive he knows which wire is supposed to be the
neutral, he should also have tested for voltage between the "neutral"
and ground also before he used a continuity tester between the two.
Same reason.

If you don't get continuity between these either, it's almost
certain, it IS fed from a gfci device

wrote in message
roups.com...
I have been trying to fix a strange electrical problem and am now at a
loss where to look next. My house was built in 1986 and is a two story
with basement. A couple of days ago I came home and found that my
garage door would not work. I assumed that it was a stuck button but
when I went in I found that the garage lights did not work either.
Luckily, the garage outlets (other than the ceiling outlet for the
door opener) are on a separate circuit so my freezer, etc. are still
on.

The first thing I did was go outside and flip all the breakers off and
back on but none appeared to be tripped. Later I noticed that two of
my bathrooms were also without power. I am not sure exactly which
breaker is the correct one but there are no GFCI breakers. Instead,
each bathroom has a GFCI outlet. I checked to make sure that the
GFCI's had not tripped but none seemes to be. I then thought that
maybe the contractor had wired the second bathroom and garage off of
the GFCI output so I pulled out the outlets in both bathrooms.
However, I found that the outlets themselves were the only things GFCI-
protected; the outputs from these outlets just had wire nuts on them.

I then decided to check and make sure the breakers were good. I used a
voltmeter to test the output on each breaker and they all came out at
122 volts. At this point, I am at a loss as to where to look. This
seems really strange. I haven't been working on any wiring projects
and the house isn't that old and doesn't have any aluminum wiring.

Any thoughts?