Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange electrical problem

I have been trying to fix a strange electrical problem and am now at a
loss where to look next. My house was built in 1986 and is a two story
with basement. A couple of days ago I came home and found that my
garage door would not work. I assumed that it was a stuck button but
when I went in I found that the garage lights did not work either.
Luckily, the garage outlets (other than the ceiling outlet for the
door opener) are on a separate circuit so my freezer, etc. are still
on.

The first thing I did was go outside and flip all the breakers off and
back on but none appeared to be tripped. Later I noticed that two of
my bathrooms were also without power. I am not sure exactly which
breaker is the correct one but there are no GFCI breakers. Instead,
each bathroom has a GFCI outlet. I checked to make sure that the
GFCI's had not tripped but none seemes to be. I then thought that
maybe the contractor had wired the second bathroom and garage off of
the GFCI output so I pulled out the outlets in both bathrooms.
However, I found that the outlets themselves were the only things GFCI-
protected; the outputs from these outlets just had wire nuts on them.

I then decided to check and make sure the breakers were good. I used a
voltmeter to test the output on each breaker and they all came out at
122 volts. At this point, I am at a loss as to where to look. This
seems really strange. I haven't been working on any wiring projects
and the house isn't that old and doesn't have any aluminum wiring.

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'll hazard a guess to get things going -- somewhere a wire nut has
come loose. It's probably at or near the most "upstream" outlet/device
that no longer has power.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Sounds like an open circuit, somewhere. You need to determine if the hot
wire is open, or the neutral, then open all the boxes involved and check for
loose connections, preferably starting with the outlets, switches, etc,
nearest the circuit breaker panel

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 May 2007 17:07:55 -0700, wrote:

[...]

It sounds like your assumption that the outputs of the GFCIs have wire
nuts is incorrect. The outputs of GFCI receptacles (any I have seen)
are screws.

I would look more closely at the GFCI outlets and take a tester to
verify that there is no power at the outlets.

I then decided to check and make sure the breakers were good. I used a
voltmeter to test the output on each breaker and they all came out at
122 volts. At this point, I am at a loss as to where to look. This
seems really strange. I haven't been working on any wiring projects
and the house isn't that old and doesn't have any aluminum wiring.

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I then decided to check and make sure the breakers were good. I used a
voltmeter to test the output on each breaker and they all came out at
122 volts. At this point, I am at a loss as to where to look. This
seems really strange. I haven't been working on any wiring projects
and the house isn't that old and doesn't have any aluminum wiring.

Do you have any outside outlets? They'll have GFCI breakers as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been trying to fix a strange electrical problem and am now at a
loss where to look next.

[snip]

Any thoughts?

I had a somewhat similar occurence and finally had to call an electrician.
He found a tripped GFCI in a hidden, out-of-the-way location, shutting off
power to everything downstream (including the next outlet, which was also
GFCI-equipped). Reset the GFCI and now everything works.

He didn't even charge me for a service call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Terry wrote:

It sounds like your assumption that the outputs of the GFCIs have wire
nuts is incorrect. The outputs of GFCI receptacles (any I have seen)
are screws.

Depends on the age of the GFCIs. Back in the early to mid 1980s, at least,
some brands had wire leads instead of screw terminals.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Some folks have indicated that these things may be fed from the load of a
gfcI device, that you haven't found, and this is possible, but easily
determined. With a basic continuity tester, test between the neutral
conductor and ground If you GET continuity, it's NOT fed from a tripped
gfci. If you don't get continuity, check the same thing between the hot and
ground. If you don't get continuity between these either, it's almost
certain, it IS fed from a gfci device

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Some folks have indicated that these things may be fed from the load of a
gfcI device, that you haven't found, and this is possible, but easily
determined. With a basic continuity tester, test between the neutral
conductor and ground If you GET continuity, it's NOT fed from a tripped
gfci. If you don't get continuity, check the same thing between the hot and
ground. If you don't get continuity between these either, it's almost
certain, it IS fed from a gfci device

Bear in mind that the OP mentioned wire nuts capping the load side of his
other GFCIs, which means that he has pretty old equipment there. I think the
OP said the home was built in 1986, and I imagine his GFCIs were installed at
that time, and not replaced since.

Having said that... are you sure that the older, first-generation GFCIs opened
both the hot *and* the neutral when they tripped?

I still have one of those old wire-lead GFCIs from the 1980s lying around
somewhere. If I can find it again, maybe I'll take it apart and see....

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You might be right. Let us know what your test reveals

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 23 May 2007 07:19:24 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Some folks have indicated that these things may be fed from the load of a
gfcI device, that you haven't found, and this is possible, but easily
determined. With a basic continuity tester, test between the neutral
conductor and ground If you GET continuity, it's NOT fed from a tripped
gfci. If you don't get continuity, check the same thing between the hot and
ground.

He should first measure the voltage between hot and ground or he may
burn out his continuity tester, and may knock himself off the ladder
when the thing gives a big spark.

Unless he is positive he knows which wire is supposed to be the
neutral, he should also have tested for voltage between the "neutral"
and ground also before he used a continuity tester between the two.
Same reason.

If you don't get continuity between these either, it's almost
certain, it IS fed from a gfci device

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:20:03 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

There is no voltage. The circuit is dead

For safety, turn off the breaker anyway.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

There is no voltage. The circuit is dead

The hot wire is dead or the neutral is open, but he hasn't checked
that both of these things are true.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 3:46 pm, Harry wrote:
On 23 May 2007 13:57:58 -0700, wrote:

[snip]

GFCI outlets as well as the garage lights. Is this a problem?

Thanks.

We're sorry, but the nine copies of your post are insufficient :-)
Continue to post it at least 32 times, and then you may get a
response.

You apparently don't have a clue about software. Using the Google
Groups web interface, I clicked on send and it came back saying the
post was not successful due to a server problem and I should try
later. I tried a few more times over a period of two hours with the
same result. Today I came in and tried once more and was successful
with a single click. I hope the multiple posts haven't caused you too
much stress. I'd hate to think that you need counseling now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2007 00:25:58 -0400, mm
wrote:

On 24 May 2007 15:47:04 -0700, wrote:

On May 23, 3:46 pm, Harry wrote:
On 23 May 2007 13:57:58 -0700, wrote:

[snip]

GFCI outlets as well as the garage lights. Is this a problem?

Thanks.

We're sorry, but the nine copies of your post are insufficient :-)
Continue to post it at least 32 times, and then you may get a
response.

You apparently don't have a clue about software. Using the Google

He was kidding you. It was not hilarious, but it was funny.

He even put in a smiley, which I don't even think was necessary. It
was obviously a joke. Learn to take a joke.

BTW, it is much easier to read Usenet directly. Besides the other one
recommended, Agent can be used in free and paid mode.

The current version of Forte Agent does not support free mode. I think
the latest version that did was 3.3. 3.3 is still a good one.

You may already
have newsgroups on the ISP you use, or you can subscribe using any ISP
for about 10 dollars a year iirc.

Groups web interface, I clicked on send and it came back saying the
post was not successful due to a server problem and I should try
later. I tried a few more times over a period of two hours with the
same result. Today I came in and tried once more and was successful
with a single click. I hope the multiple posts haven't caused you too
much stress. I'd hate to think that you need counseling now.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:10:41 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

BTW, it is much easier to read Usenet directly. Besides the other one
recommended, Agent can be used in free and paid mode.

The current version of Forte Agent does not support free mode. I think
the latest version that did was 3.3. 3.3 is still a good one.

No kidding! Thanks, that's good to know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 3:46 pm, Harry wrote:
On 23 May 2007 13:57:58 -0700, wrote:

[snip]

GFCI outlets as well as the garage lights. Is this a problem?

Thanks.

We're sorry, but the nine copies of your post are insufficient :-)
Continue to post it at least 32 times, and then you may get a
response.

You apparently don't have a clue about software. Using the Google

He was kidding you. It was not hilarious, but it was funny.

He even put in a smiley, which I don't even think was necessary. It
was obviously a joke. Learn to take a joke.

I apologize. I didn't realize it was meant as a joke. It looked like
plain sarcasm to me. I was already greatly irritated when got online
and saw that the miserable Google Groups' "unsuccessful - try again
later" messages were bogus and it had actually posted them all, but
with a multi-hour delay. I see so much rudeness in usenet in general
and so many flame wars that I assumed this was the same. Again, my
apologies to the jokester and also to the group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 3:46 pm, Harry wrote:
[...]

I have set up my newsreader to display the "User-Agent:" and
"X-Newsreader:" headers, and a lot of problem posts are showing
using.

The software is reminding me of AOL.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."