Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Strange electrical problem

wrote:

I have been trying to fix a strange electrical problem and am now at a
loss where to look next. My house was built in 1986 and is a two story
with basement. A couple of days ago I came home and found that my
garage door would not work. I assumed that it was a stuck button but
when I went in I found that the garage lights did not work either.
Luckily, the garage outlets (other than the ceiling outlet for the
door opener) are on a separate circuit so my freezer, etc. are still
on.

The first thing I did was go outside and flip all the breakers off and
back on but none appeared to be tripped. Later I noticed that two of
my bathrooms were also without power. I am not sure exactly which
breaker is the correct one but there are no GFCI breakers. Instead,
each bathroom has a GFCI outlet. I checked to make sure that the
GFCI's had not tripped but none seemes to be. I then thought that
maybe the contractor had wired the second bathroom and garage off of
the GFCI output so I pulled out the outlets in both bathrooms.
However, I found that the outlets themselves were the only things GFCI-
protected; the outputs from these outlets just had wire nuts on them.

I then decided to check and make sure the breakers were good. I used a
voltmeter to test the output on each breaker and they all came out at
122 volts. At this point, I am at a loss as to where to look. This
seems really strange. I haven't been working on any wiring projects
and the house isn't that old and doesn't have any aluminum wiring.

Any thoughts?

I'll hazard a guess to get things going -- somewhere a wire nut has
come loose. It's probably at or near the most "upstream" outlet/device
that no longer has power.