Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Solar Flaire Solar Flaire is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

Not on your life. This device has no lockable, visual, manual switch
between the generator and the grid. "Automatic" is just not allowed
for human protection.

There is a need for a lockable switch to isolate the device for
linesman protection. The automatic portion is to eliminate backfeeds
and/or other system protection/ convenience requirements. Never for
human protection.

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Solar Flaire :
I doubt this would ever be approved for Canadian usage. I am not
sure
if automatic transfer switches would be allowed without a lockable
manual switch between it and the grid.

Automatic transfer switches are permitted. Otherwise, we'd not
have automatic cutover generators, as sold at HD.

If you broke the seal for the meter mounting to the base it would
be
considered stealing power and probably never allowed.

This device conceptually just makes the meter base larger, and has
provisions for security sealing it too. Otherwise, FPL wouldn't
permit it. Obviously they do.

But I would imagine that the local power authority has to approve
of the device before they'd allow you to install one.

[I believe that contractors have to contact the power
company to inform them that the meter base has been diddled
with so they can come out to reseal the meter.]

If you were to somehow get a hold of one up here, you really should
call the power company before installation.

Is UL listed the same as UL approved?

Yes. Which means it's approved up here unless it runs afoul of
something specific in the CEC, or Hydro throws a fit.

[Ontario Hydro has two separate "special" meter trial programmes
going
on, similarly restricted in region. "Smart meters" and something
else I forget...]

To tell you the truth, I'm _very_ much surprised I haven't seen
something like this before. It's the obvious place. It's
just not something a homeowner is usually able to install
themselves ....

An even simpler way would be to have some sort of object that
"mimics"
the back of the meter and has a plug for the generator. Power out,
yank
the meter, install the adapter, plugin the generator, and voila!

When power comes back, pull out the adapter and plug the meter back
in.

Problem being that you'd have to get the power company back to
reseal the meter after grid power is restored.

[I have some experience with our power company that indicates that
they don't have too much trouble with things like this, especially
during emergencies. But if everybody started doing it, they would
change their minds pretty quick!]
--
Chris Lewis,

It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after
them.