Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default Display problems after replacing IBM lap top main board

Morse wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message ...

snip

Nevermind. A second call to IBM confirmed that the first idiot I spoke
to at IBM gave me incorrect information. The 16 MB VGA version of the
main board isn't compatible with the display in this lap top.

Rick

Have they agreed to exchange the board for the correct one, Rick? I imagine
this is a frighteningly expensive item? Laptop manufacturers love to fleece
people for spare parts, which is one reason I'm reluctant to replace my
Omnibook 6100. It's been patched up a few times with secondhand spares very
cheaply, and bits are fairly readily available on eBay for them. If I bought
a new one I just know it'd fail one day outside the warranty and I'd be left
with a pile of junk!

Morse

BTW: You were right, in a side ways kind of manner. 8-) The 16 MB
version of the board cross referenced to the only model A21 that came
with a UXGA display. The main board with 8 MB video memory cross
referenced to 4 models that only came with XGA displays. Still didn't
cross reference to my model in the HRM, but that was enough to explain
the display mysteries. The second call to IBM confirmed it - the 16MB
VGA version expects to "see" a UXGA display and can't be dumbed down
with an EEPROM utility to run at a lower resolution.

I went through an IBM parts distributor that sells "refurbished by IBM"
parts and new parts. Translates: IBM tested board with warranty,
possibly a pull. (I asked them what "refurb" meant before I ordered.)
But not an EPay mystery part with the usual "NEW PART BUT I HAVE NO IDEA
IF IT WORKS NO REFUNDS" disclaimer.

The wrong main board as a refurb. cost $155.00 and the correct one is
$151.00. Free shipping. No hassles at all about the return. But the
"Ouch!" is the distributor has a 25% restocking fee policy. I'm going to
ask them if they will knock the restocking fee in half, since I got the
RMA for the wrong board and placed the order for the correct board in
the same phone call. The restocking fee is a bit stiff, but I certainly
wasn't expecting IBM to give me bad information about compatible part
numbers.

New, the main board would have cost $575.00 - just ridiculous.

FWIW they are at:

http://www.serversupply.com/

And sell a ton of stuff and parts - not just for IBM lap tops. Just make
sure you know what you are ordering because of that restocking fee.

Rick