Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default Display problems after replacing IBM lap top main board

Morse wrote:

Rick wrote:

snip

Anyone seen this problem before on an IBM lap top? Any troubleshooting
suggestions appreciated.

Rick

I don't know about IBM laptops, but on HP Omnibook 6000/6100 laptops there's
an eeprom on the mainboard which sometimes has to be flashed (*not* the
system BIOS) when the display is replaced, as manufacturers often source
their LCDs from different manufacturers and specs of replacement displays
may change during product life. When I bought a replacement mainboard for
mine I had to use the HP display update utility (HP don't give it out, I
had to get it from a 3rd party website) to get it to work correctly with
the display as it wasn't configured for it.

This could be completely irrelevant to your situation but perhaps worth
looking into.

Morse

Nevermind. A second call to IBM confirmed that the first idiot I spoke
to at IBM gave me incorrect information. The 16 MB VGA version of the
main board isn't compatible with the display in this lap top.

Rick