Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default What Do I Ask To Determine Quality?

In article ,
says...

Go to IKEA. No, really, go there. Others gave you some ideas on what to
look for. If you go to a cheap furniture store and look at the construction,
it will give you a good idea of what you don't want to see. Feel how the
drawers slide, look at how joints are made, what material is used, etc.

Is Ikea really such crap these days? Seriously, I have no idea, they don't have
a shop in New Zealand. Back in my student days 30 years ago, we'd hire a VW bus
and drive 100 km to the nearest Ikea store because the stuff they were selling
was so *good* (all solid, hard, well seasoned pine in those days, and
affordable even for students).

But my wife (a fairly recent import from Germany) brought a couple of Ikea
chests of drawers with her and they were, indeed, utter junk.

Guess I may have heard that they moved the production from Scandinavia to Asia.
Not sure. Hmmm.

-Peter