Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Toilet Flange too high!

If you decide to use a spacer, marine plywood could be a good choice,
probably could get some scraps from a boating repair place fairly cheaply.

"Walter R." wrote in message
My house is 25 years old. When they built it, the builder put in toilets
that had an unusually deep recess for the wax ring and flange. All the
flanges in my house (5 toilets) stick out about 1/2" above the floor
level.

Therefore, my replacement toilet (the old one was cracked), floats about
1/2" above the floor level, after allowing for the wax ring

The steel flange seems to be cemented to the plastic drain pipe. It would
cost a fortune to break
up the slab and the tile flooring, in order put in a new, lower flange.

The local plumber wants to insert a 1/2" plywood spacer between the floor
and the base of the toilet. That would look rather poorly and might cause
dry rot.

Do they make toilets that have a deeper recess, to allow for an abnormally
high flange?

Are there any other alternatives?
--
Walter