Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT is offline

Default Gas Grill Safety Questions

I serve in Montgomery County Maryland. We have a dispatch for failure
of a BBQ grill at least once a month during the summer. We also have a
structural ignition from one of those failures about every third year.
Some of the structures have suffered significant damage. We rigorously
enforce the code separation of the unlisted portable grills from
multiple dwellings but as with many other things there is no effective
enforcement at single family detached homes. If you actually read the
instructions that come with the portable grills you will see that they
are not intended for use in or adjacent to a structure nor on
combustible surfaces.

Look if you want one on your deck then pay a little more for a listed
unit and have it installed by a licensed gas fitter.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Nancy Young wrote:
"tom" wrote

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:
How "safe" are these things, both in use and just sitting there with
the
attached tank ?

The flexible hose on our LP gas grill failed while in use and the full
tank
turned into a blow torch spewing a 6 foot flame against the back of our
house 8 years ago. Even the firemen couldn't do anything with it except
put
water on it and let the tank burn itself out. The fire destroyed a
bedroom,
bathroom and burned off about half the roof. I now use a natural gas grill
that has several remote shut offs.

And that's one reason you're not supposed to store or use them
within whatever (15, often) feet of a dwelling. Having said that,
I think what happened to you is a pretty rare occurence.

nancy