Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Tony is offline

Default Toilet Flange too high!

I had this problem. I had a marble slab under my bowl to compensate for the height. Since I ripped
up my entire floor to put a new one in, it was simple. But my friend told me they sell a flange that
will go into your old one. You need to cut the pvc pipe under the flange. Then, you replace it with
a new one, that I believe slides into the one that goes under the floor and you have to glue it up.
Look into that. If you can get under the floor and have access to the pvc pipe, you can cut it buy
a coupler and put it back together.

Tony

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Walter R. wrote:
My house is 25 years old. When they built it, the builder put in toilets
that had an unusually deep recess for the wax ring and flange. All the
flanges in my house (5 toilets) stick out about 1/2" above the floor
level.

Therefore, my replacement toilet (the old one was cracked), floats about
1/2" above the floor level, after allowing for the wax ring

The steel flange seems to be cemented to the plastic drain pipe. It would
cost a fortune to break
up the slab and the tile flooring, in order put in a new, lower flange.

The local plumber wants to insert a 1/2" plywood spacer between the floor
and the base of the toilet. That would look rather poorly and might cause
dry rot.

Do they make toilets that have a deeper recess, to allow for an
abnormally
high flange?

Are there any other alternatives?

If you asked me to fix it, I'd go with a pressure treated wood spacer
sabre sawed out with an outline about 5/16" shy of the new toilet's base
profile, use longer hold down bolts if needed, and then fill the gap with
smoothed in tile grout, colored as you wish.

Chances are you'll be the only one who'll ever notice it's done that way.

I'd make the spacer out of solid-surface counter material. Make a template
showing needed outside shape, placement of center hole, any needed notches
for the hold down bolts, and take it over to local custom countertop place.
They can probably make it from a sink cutout. They have the routers and such
to make it pretty, versus cutting out at home with a jigsaw.

aem sends...