Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default securing to plasterboard wall

wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:23:50 +0100, Mike Clarke
wrote:

For most plasterboard you'll probably need code 18266 which should grip
boards between 6 and 13mm thick or 12229 for 8 to 16mm.

Hi, I've got these ready but I've already tiles the wall I want to use
them on. They've got spikes in their back to pierce the plaster. In an
ideal world, should they go under the tile, or should can I put them
through the tile and just cut the spikey bits off so they don't damage
the tile?

Well, in an ideal world you need something more substantial beneath the
plasterboard, like a batten, for the screws to bite into. But if you're
intent on using these, then they would certainly be better being under
the tile; if you want to put them on top then for sure cut the spike
off. I don't know which depth of fitting you have but make sure that
they are deep enough so that the expanding part doesn't open up within
the actual plasterboard (instead of behind it), or even worse, within
the tile.

Hopefully you have no air gaps in the adhesive between the tile and
plasterboard, or you'll be highly likely to crack the tiles when you
tighten up the screws.

David