Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna Donna is offline

Default Gas Grill Safety Questions

"tom" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"tom" wrote

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:
How "safe" are these things, both in use and just sitting there with
the
attached tank ?

The flexible hose on our LP gas grill failed while in use and the full
tank
turned into a blow torch spewing a 6 foot flame against the back of our
house 8 years ago. Even the firemen couldn't do anything with it except
put
water on it and let the tank burn itself out. The fire destroyed a
bedroom,
bathroom and burned off about half the roof. I now use a natural gas

grill
that has several remote shut offs.

I can't add anything to the safety discussion other than to think quietly to
myself that the danger factor feels kind of overblown. I've heard stories
that start out "a friend of a friend of mine had a gas grill and ..." but
I've never personally heard "I had a gas grill and...". But whatever. I
will say that hands down, old fashioned charcoal (particularly if you get
the hardwood charcoal, rather than the manufactured bagged stuff) tastes
100% better than gas-grilled food. Mmmmm.... ash and carbon. Yummy.

We had a gas grill, and got rid of it in favor of our trusty Weber. It's
no more trouble than (once you factor in the hassle of making sure the
propane tank is full - that extra stop at the hardware store is a pain in
the ass, imho), and the slightly longer cooking time is totally worth it
taste-wise. YMMV, of course.

Donna