Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Do I Ask To Determine Quality?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to buy a dresser and have found one I like. This one

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...=377444&cat=38

but I don't know anything about construction and wood quality. So I'm
worried I might be paying 1500 for something that is IKEA quality.
What questions do I ask to determine if it's "worth it" for the price?

Go to IKEA. No, really, go there. Others gave you some ideas on what to
look for. If you go to a cheap furniture store and look at the construction,
it will give you a good idea of what you don't want to see. Feel how the
drawers slide, look at how joints are made, what material is used, etc.

As for the "worth it" question, that is very difficult to answer. I find
that in most goods, as the price doubles, the value goes up about half of
that. OTOH, good furniture can last a couple of generations. Last summer I
refinished two pieces that were used and abused for over 50 years and they
look fantastic and will last at least that much longer.