SteveB

Default Carport Framing Question

"Old Nick" wrote

But all the structural advice will not help if the local authorities
disagree. I just know that I can go the steel people and fall all over
themselves to give me ideas, specs, plans etc, that will meet specs.

AND, steel people can steer you to things that are lead pipe simple that
will save a lot of time, and take the worry out of the situation.

None of this, "Will it sag?" stuff. What you will be told is, "This WILL
work."

And if a "local authority" sees a structure made out of commercially
supplied steel rather than a homemade truss or joist setup, they will hardly
give it a second glance. They know it is solid. They MAY require you to go
back and get a permit, so they get their vig, though.

As a side story, I once went through gyrations trying to get the permits to
build a stand alone carport, separated from the house. The rules were very
different from an "attatched" carport. Finally, the zoning and planning guy
said, "Just attach a one inch by 1/8" flatbar from the carport to the house,
and it will pass inspection as an "attatched" carport, and won't need all
this other stuff. Once the inspector signs off, take off the flat bar."

The flat bar was 18' long. The inspector was in and out in five minutes.

When you check permits, ask about an "attatched" carport rather than a free
standing one. Now you know how to attach it.

Steve