Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Gas Grill Safety Questions

"Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT" wrote in message
link.net...
"Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT" wrote in message
link.net...
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Guess I'm succumbing like so many others, and considering buying one of
those Gas Grills that seem to be everywhere. The ones that run off of
a Propane tank.

Have never had one before.

In my case, it would be placed, probably, on my wooden deck (attached
to the house)

Questions:

How "safe" are these things, both in use and just sitting there with
the attached tank ?

Would you keep it on a wooden deck ?

Are grease flare-ups while cooking a real safety concern ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
This will probably raise some hackles but such is life. I will concede
in advance that what you propose to do is very commonly done but it is
in fact illegal in many places. In order for the grill to be used on or
in a structure it has to be listed as a cooking appliance by a
nationally recognized testing laboratory. Most movable grills are not
listed as cooking appliances. Listed grills are fastened in place to
prevent tipping and are supplied from a remote supply of Gas. There has
to be a shut off in the supply piping immediately adjacent to the grill.
If the grill is to be supplied by portable gas bottles the size of those
cylinders is limited to a nominal ten pounds capacity. The National
Fuel Gas Code requires that unlisted movable grills be located a
specific distance away from the structure and that includes the deck.
Having said that let me say that I realize that the Fuel Gas Code is
observed more in the breech in this regard but that doesn't make that
use safe.

If you actually do want a safe installation buy a listed grill, anchor
it in accordance with the manufactures instructions, and either install
the supply cylinders remotely or use the ten pound capacity ones. The
reason that the code limits the portable cylinders to ten pounds is that
it takes a lot shorter time for a ten pound cylinder to vent if over
pressurized and that limits the time that the vent fire will last and
thus limits the duration of the exposure of the structural elements to
the gas fed fire. The use of a remote tank when using a larger supply
insures the existence of a remote shut off valve that can be safely
approached to shut off the gas when a problem occurs at the appliance.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

EXT wrote:
Check your numbers, a 20 pound cylinder is the standard used for BBQs
not 10 pounds.

BBQ grills that are listed for use in or on a dwelling will not except any
tank larger than 10 pounds without an adapter. That is done deliberately
to prevent the use of the larger propane cylinders inside a building.
Most regular BBQ grills are not listed as gas cooking appliances that are
suitable to use in doors.

If you reread my entire posting carefully you will see that is the very
issue I was trying to address.
--
Tom Horne

Never heard of that one, around here NO ONE sells 10 pound tanks, they are
ALL 20 pounders and most people put them on a deck. In fact, I wouldn't want
to have my grill on the grass where I have to move it constantly to mow the
lawn and get my feet wet when I am cooking on it.