Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default What Do I Ask To Determine Quality?

On May 17, 11:08 pm, "
wrote:
I want to buy a dresser and have found one I like. This one

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/prod...d=991299&coll=...

but I don't know anything about construction and wood quality. So I'm
worried I might be paying 1500 for something that is IKEA quality.
What questions do I ask to determine if it's "worth it" for the price?

The drawer fronts are likely solid maple. (No big deal, not that it's
birds-eye or anything)
The case-work, veneered something.

Sooo.. let's see here. $ 1500.00 retail. He needs to make 50 points
(minimum 35) margin, which means he bought it for $ 750.00. The guy
that made it, wants 50 points as well.
That means it shouldn't cost him more than $375.00. That includes his
labour and packaging.
That leaves us a couple of hundred in materials. (I am being very
generous here.)
It also leaves no room for skilled labour.

I can assure you of one thing though. There is far worse crap out
there than IKEA. It is what it is, and not what it is trying to be
like the piece you linked us to. That piece, would likely sell at IKEA
for less than half that price..in fact wayyyy less... and the quality
wouldn't be that different.
Just a hunch.

Take this picture and walk it around a local wood show. Chat with the
tool stores. Ask around. You could find somebody who would make you
that same piece, better quality, for about the same price. Either an
eager young up-start or a retired gentleman who has to justify a new
tool to his sweetie.
Are there any vocational schools around you?

Option # 2: buy 750 dollars worth of tools and 750 dollars worth of
materials and do it yourself. Build 2. Sell one... etc.