Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default What Do I Ask To Determine Quality?

Unfortunately, the person/salesman you are asking probably does not know
either.

At most retailers, you're probably right. You could look into
Stickley, especially if you live near central NY and can make it to
one of their factory sales. Even modern Stickley is clearly mass-
produced with the associated shortcuts once you start looking, though.
The first thing I would check is whether it's solid wood - I haven't
shopped for dressers so I don't know what you'll find at any given
price point, but particleboard, plywood, etc. seem almost ubiquitous.
I would argue that plywood may have a place in "real" furniture, but
if the piece is made of real wood, that SHOULD imply that some more
time and possibly care went into making it, and it won't become a
sponge (like particleboard) if it somehow gets wet. Also, if/when it
needs to be repaired or refinished, real wood gives you something with
which to work. To check for real wood, I'd look inside the case, and
at the ends and sides of boards - does the grain match around
corners? Is there end grain visible anywhere? Are there several
matching panels, as would occur if adjacent layers of veneer were
bookmatched or used for drawer fronts?
Dovetails should make a solid joint, even if they're made by machine
(and I can't imagine you'd find handcut dovetails on anything except a
100% custom piece for which you've talked to the maker). How are the
backs and bottoms of the drawers attached, and can the bottoms be
replaced? How thick are the drawer bottoms (if they're thin
hardboard, they'll sag)? How are the handles attached to the drawers,
and will you be able to tighten them if they loosen over time? How
much play is there in the drawer when you wiggle it side to side? I
can't add much about drawer slides, but I'd definitely stay away from
anything that looks thin or feels cheap.
Hope this helps - but remember that most free advice is worth
approximately what you paid for it.
Good luck,
Andy