Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Best vacuum cleaner for DIY?

Ian_m wrote:

"Cod Roe" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner for DIY work which
doesn't need it's filters cleaning all the time or just burns out.

I've bought a few bag and bagless ones but when sucking up plaster,
brick and wood dust they all block up in no time and then cleaning
their so-called washable filters does little except to set harden the
crap onto it.

Just looking for a decent, reliable vacuum cleaner under £100 with a
decent capacity. Is this possible?

I haven't had any problems with one of these:

It has so far coped with cleaning up the lime plaster stripping in a room,
and all the woodworking/router dust extraction I have done since I brought
it, only had it since the beginning of the year though.

I agree, fantatsic vacuum for DIY.. Also available as Wickes own brand.
Worth buying the wet/dry fillter so no messing with bags and also brush
attachement as well. If I was doing it again I would buy the more expensive
Earlex model that has a 13A socket on it that automatically turns the vacuum
on when you turn your power tool on.
http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/wd_html/wd1200p.htm

I've had one of those for several years, only problem has been the noise
(though I wear ear protectors with power tools) then someone on here
recommended getting the wide bore hose kit and connecting it to the
outlet as a baffle. This cuts the noise appreciably. When using the wide
bore hose I put the small bore on the outlet instead. I have connected
sanders, saws, routers etc to it with no problems. The wide bore hose
fits the outlet of the Trend Mk2 router table. Starts up with the tool
and runs on after you switch the tool off to clear the hose. When
trenching with the router I retract the bit, switch off and run the
router over the rebate etc again to take out the remaining dust.

Another advantage, it acts as an extension cord for your power tool. I
have just power sanded our walls prior to painting and there was much
less dust around than when I went over places by hand.

If it broke I would go out and buy another immediately. Can't say better
than that.

Peter
www.the-brights.net