Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Grill Safety Questions

"Robert11" wrote in message Questions:

How "safe" are these things, both in use and just sitting there with the
attached tank ?

Would you keep it on a wooden deck ?

Are grease flare-ups while cooking a real safety concern ?

Overall, they are very safe, but nothing is perfect. Every year some do
start fires. Millions never do.

I do keep mine on my wood deck and I don't worry about it. I do follow
normal safe precautions and care. It is on the outside rail of the deck,
not near the house. If the grill was to burn it would not be shooting
flames into the soffits.

Just sitting there, it is highly unlikely anything would happen. All the
manufacturers recommend you turn off the valve on the tank when not in use.

Flare-ups are not a big deal. If you are careful in cooking, they are very
infrequent. Chicken is the worst offender, but it can be eliminated with
some attention while cooking. At the time the fat starts to render and
drip, be ready to move it away from a fire if it starts. . If for any
reason a flare-up start, just let it burn out.