Posted to alt.home.repair
cas cas is offline

Default Want to buy 10' of neighbors yard and build a fence

On May 14, 7:55 pm, wrote:
Sorry if the subject line wasn't too detailed, but here's what I want
to do. My neighbor will be selling his house soon. I want to ask him
if I can purchase 10' from the current propery line onto his yard. All
total it's about 100 square feet. We are in a typical subdivision. If
he agrees to that, I will build a new fence on the new line. But I
have some questions.

First, how do I find out what the value of the land is worth some
thing like this?
Second, how do I get it recorded at the local government level
(county)?

One of my neighbors wanted to buy a strip of land from me, it was
going to cost them more than it was worth. They finally resorted to
trying to take it by adverse possession but that failed (they started
to mow it and stuff and told the judge that "her grandmother" (who
they inherited the house from) had gardened on it for years. Too bad
the "for years" ended when she died in the 60s.

You could ask the owner if he'd be willing to sell a strip if land.
I'd consult a surveyor along with your city planning people then get a
lawyer. Then my neighbors did their research it was going to cost
about 1k for the survey and transfers/plot updates plus any other fees
the city or lawyer would levy.