Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Long lashing wire for aerial fixing

In article , Cicero
writes
On Thu, 17 May 2007 07:57:10 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Cicero
writes
That sounds very much like fencing (or 'baling') wi

Nope, this stuff is stranded. As Geoff points out CPC have got it:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Aerials+&...g+Accessories/
MAXVIEW/D4307/displayProduct.jsp?sku=AP00050 or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yoyy8p

but it's only 5m so the o/p may still need a join. I don't know the right
way to join these but wire rope grips should do the job. The smaller sizes
of galvanized grips are mis-described on the CPC site as wire rope.

==================================
Are you sure that *stranded* wire will hold just by being bent and
twisted back on itself? Usually it needs some kind of clamp or even an
'eye splice'. Is this the same (under a different name) as 'lashing wire'?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCAT30.html

My, you've got your sceptical pants on this morning ;-)

I had my doubts too but after seeing it close up on a roof and hearing it
spoken about on the digital-tv group I do believe it is self gripping when
looped back and twisted correctly. Take a look at the pic in the CPC link
and you'll see it has a very specific tight twist which I believe is the key. It
does sort of make sense as it removes the need for too many tools and
fiddly operations on the rooftop.

And no it's not catenary wire.
--
fred