Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Suggestions on what to use for "exterior" ceiling

On May 16, 12:46 pm, MiamiCuse wrote:
I have about a 4 to 5 feet overhang area, which is now covered with
painted wood boards. It has been there for years and recently I had
to remove a bunch of them to perform repair of the framing above it
and leaks in the super-gutter above has caused the boards to rot.
Over 60% of the boards are damages in some way, shape or form so I am
in the process of riping them all down.

Here are some pics of what it looks before I took them down:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/P1000547.jpg

The board that is there now is still available at HD:

Millstead 11/32 In. or 3/8 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. 1.6 In. Plybead Pine
Siding Model 538281http://205.196.138.20/3/78/78eff07b-341b-4046-9d3a-0af7fb9a37b8_3.jpg

at about $18 for a 4x8 sheet. It sort of look like a T&G wood ceiling
but it does not, actually looks a little cheesy.

I am trying to decide what to do to replace it. Obviously one option
is to use drywall, or to use the same board as before, but I would
welcome any opinion/comment as to other options. I don't think I
could afford a true T&G wood ceiling that is installed plank by plank.

Location is Miami, FL if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

MC

Man-o-man I hope you bought that house cheap. What'd you ever do with
the AC in the big room?

Keep away from sheetrock. You've got too much humidity and you're
asking for mold. HD has sheetrock without paper on it. That would be
better because it would limit mold but you'd do better with green-
board like you use in a bathroom. Then paint and add some anti-mold
stuff to the paint just for good measure. Also, I find a glossier
paint cleans up better and might help if any mold appears.

One you've rocked it, go talk to the HD paint people about some
interesting painting techniques they have.

You might also vinyl side it (just kidding). Or popcorn it.

If you wanted to throw some bucks at it, you could tile the whole
thing.