Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Roy the Rebel Roy the Rebel is offline

Default More on lead-free junk solder

Fortunately we now have the power of the internet. Pester the MPs with
emails. Pester the "Greens" pester anyone you can think of. Email the
newspapers. Tell everyone that this bloody madness has got to stop. I
WILL NOT USE LEAD FREE SOLDER. This is not a "green" issue, its an
electronics reliability issue. All the extra new equipment being
produced to replace the failed stuff because of crap joints, not to
mention houses burning down is NOT the way forward. Its time we put
these legislative bird brains in their place. The revolution starts
now!

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Roy the Rebel" wrote in message
The pillocks that came up with this law obviously know nothing
about electronics. I call on all servicemen everywhere to defy this
stupid legislation as it is unworkable. Stock up with with as much
leaded solder as you can and USE it! Screw the rules, I say.

Pillocks indeed. It is an ill-thought-through piece of legislation
intended to protect the environment from a threat which many of us
believe did not exist from lead in its solder form, in the first
place. It is a typical bit of euro-nonsense, but unfortunately, this
"save the planet" hysteria, whilst being laudable in principle, and
absolutely fine if applied with common sense, has now taken on
almost the mantle of a religion, with green as its god, and anyone
who goes against it is branded as a worthless heretic.

There are now euro-zealots in just about every local council, who
pursue people through the courts for incorrect recycling or
'fly-tipping' for putting their garbage bins out on the footpath a
day early, or placing stuff beside a locked bin at their local
recycling centre and any number of other ridiculous things that I
read about in the papers just about every day. It even now has its
own name - "eco crime", and the perpetrators are "eco criminals".

So, whilst I agree with you 100%, I'm not sure that I want to become
the first person to be pursued, persecuted, and ultimately treated
to a £5000 fine, possible prison, and a criminal record, for using
the 'wrong type' of solder. Like it or not, I guess that we've got
to just follow the rules, until someone a lot more powerful than us,
manages to prove that the whole thing is a pile of gonads.
Otherwise, one of us is going to finish up like that poor
greengrocer guy that stood up for his right to sell loose bananas to
little old ladies, in pounds and ounces, and finished up pursued,
villified, prosecuted and imprisoned, until the poor sod had a heart
attack and died. Just this week, his stand has proved that it can be
worth it, as the euro-crap which was going to force this ban on us
totally from 2010, has now been dropped. But I for one, don't want
to test the dubious strength of my heart, from the stress that would
inevitably result from taking on these people, do you ?

Arfa