Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default B&Q (OT rant)

Huge wrote:

Indeed.

I never use word without managing to turn the air blue.

I'm glad it's not just me, then.

I was about to say that!

I worked in Tech Pubs for some years, and Word is a heap of cack for
complex techie documents.

Too right. Especially when you need a group of related documents and
want to try cross reference tables that reach between documents.

I have not yet found a way in word of doing something that was easy in
WP - Say you have a engineering change request form that updates a doc.
When you issue the new version of the doc, you need to produce a
version summary in the front of the doc that states which change
requests have been implemented in this version, and which pages were
affected. In WP I would mark a target called say SCR0245 (matching the
change request ID), and drop that target next to each change I made.
Then in the summary you can put in a auto reference to page numbers and
it gives you a nice list of every page number with that target on it.
And you can then compare the doc against the previous version and have
it redline or sidebar the changes as well.

(Actually, it's just a heap of cack, period.)

So it seems.

--
Cheers,

John.