Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Want to buy 10' of neighbors yard and build a fence

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry if the subject line wasn't too detailed, but here's what I want
to do. My neighbor will be selling his house soon. I want to ask him
if I can purchase 10' from the current propery line onto his yard. All
total it's about 100 square feet. We are in a typical subdivision. If
he agrees to that, I will build a new fence on the new line. But I
have some questions.

First, how do I find out what the value of the land is worth some
thing like this?
Second, how do I get it recorded at the local government level
(county)?

This is done all of the time. Skip all of the advice about going to an
attorney. Way too expensive. Most LGA's (Local Government Agencies) have a
lot line adjustment procedure in place. Go to your LGA's Planning or Zoning
department. The typical requirements would be that you get a surveyor to
map the houses so setback requirements can be verified. You file your
application, with the survey, and after approval your surveyor will draw the
necessary plats, write a new legal description etc. Your local title
company will record the documents.
HOWEVER, as stated above, a revocable or irrevocable easement from your
neighbor for specified uses would be a lot simpler and more economical.

Ivan Vegvary