Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Want to buy 10' of neighbors yard and build a fence

wrote:
Sorry if the subject line wasn't too detailed, but here's what I want
to do. My neighbor will be selling his house soon. I want to ask him
if I can purchase 10' from the current propery line onto his yard. All
total it's about 100 square feet. We are in a typical subdivision. If
he agrees to that, I will build a new fence on the new line. But I
have some questions.

First, how do I find out what the value of the land is worth some
thing like this?
Second, how do I get it recorded at the local government level
(county)?

The value is more like "what do you want to pay". I would begin by
discussing it with the neighbor. If he is interested, then you have a
reason to proceed. It would be helpful to know the size of the lots,
the distance between structures, and how far the new line would be from
the closest structure. If the neighbor is agreeable, you might be able
to get the deal okayed with zoning authority, but probably would require
advertising to other neighbors and some sort of hearing. It might be
easier, if at all feasible, to work out something with the buyer of that
property, as the present owner has no particular reason for going to
extra trouble if he is selling the property anyway.

The zoning board here grants exceptions all the time, but there are
limits, and most keep a certain distance between structure and property
line as an absolute minimum.