Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default B&Q (OT rant)

On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:48:34 +0100 Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote :
Yus. I fail to see why, when people demonstrate against a new supermarket,
they don't just ignore it and continue to use their existing shops. The
reason appears to be that *most* people *do* want a supermarket local to
them, but perhaps are currently forced to use ****e local shops where they
wait an hour to be served whilst knitting patterns are discussed at length
by the mad tivvies behind the counter.

If a community was entirely happy with their shopping arrangements prior to
said supermarket opening surely it would be forced to close soon enough?

As in many planning stories, "the view of the community" is usually the view
of a vociferous subset. When our local Great Mills, now Wickes was up for PP
the campaign against it was on two fronts: "No one wants it" and "When it
opens it will bring traffic chaos to the area". The evident contradiction
between these two was lost on most people.