Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default B&Q (OT rant)

On Tue, 15 May 2007 02:51:12 +0100 John Rumm wrote :
I spent 45mins one trying to get an en-dash into header in word 97
once... it crashed every time!

I use Lotus WordPro for virtually all my wordprocessing but switched one
of our software manuals over to Word 2003 as I felt that I ought to
acquire some competence at using it, and using it on a real document was
the way to do this. I really cannot believe how poor it is in many
respects compared with WordPro; this is not just unfamiliarity. Little
gems like this

"When you delete a section break, or move an entire section to another
part of the document, you get what seem to be very strange results. For
instance, deleting a Continuous section break causes the preceding Next
Page section break to convert to a Continuous one, or deleting a section
break causes an important Header to disappear from the document, or causes
the entire document to become landscape..

I agree it's confusing, but it's “by design”."

I write computer software; I do my best to make it usable. But when an MVP
(Microsoft guru) is reduced to saying "I agree it's confusing" I just
shake my head in disbelief. No doubt BillG will tell me that the answer is
to buy Office 2007 - cheap for home users, rip-off price for businesses
who want to be legal.