Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Want to buy 10' of neighbors yard and build a fence

On May 14, 6:55 pm, wrote:
Sorry if the subject line wasn't too detailed, but here's what I want
to do. My neighbor will be selling his house soon. I want to ask him
if I can purchase 10' from the current propery line onto his yard. All
total it's about 100 square feet. We are in a typical subdivision. If
he agrees to that, I will build a new fence on the new line. But I
have some questions.

First, how do I find out what the value of the land is worth some
thing like this?
Second, how do I get it recorded at the local government level
(county)?

How close is his house to the property line? How close is yours?
Unless you are willing to offer a lot of money for that land there is
little chance he will sell it. He is selling his entire property and
that land is part of it.

It would have to be a nice bit of dough to convince him or his
realtors and attorneys that this is good for him. You count your
money. Then you get an attorney to help you decide what you can and
cannot do. Asking to buy ten feet, that makes you look a little
desperate so that always cost extra.

Even if the county will allow it, a new survey may be required. You
had better want that 100 sq/ft really bad to go to the trouble
necessary to buy it. But if you have the dough, it can probabley be
done but dont expect to be charged for 100 sq/ft, hehe. Expect to pay
through the nose unless your neighbor is your personal friend and
wants to do you a favor.