Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q (OT rant)

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Strangely it wasn't the large supermarkets that killed off my local
grocer type shops but the Tesco Metro. It's no larger than some of
the previous competition, but provides exactly what I, as a single
person, want. Ignoring price too. Previously, the local shops seemed
only to sell what they wanted to sell rather than what I actually
wanted to buy.

What do I want from this sort of shop? A selection of decent fresh
produce. Possibly ready made main courses of good quality if I'm in a
hurry. And the fact they have a car park is a big plus.

Supermarkets just do things right. Owners of all small shops had the
opportunity to do that too, but only a few of them did. Jack Cohen,
for one, who started with a market stall.

At last the voice of reason! Why are Tesco et al so successful? They give
the punters what they want.

We had a 'corner shop'. Closed on Wednesday arvo, hugely expensive, very
basic stock - mostly past its sell by date, surly staff, smelled like a
Turkish Brothel (alledgedly). It closed a few years ago.

Since January we have a Tesco Metro 300 yards away - open 6am till midnight,
fresh produce, good selection, ample parking, cheap petrol, wide variety,
nice staff, good prices.

Simple innit?

--
Dave