Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot is offline

Default B&Q (OT rant)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Strangely it wasn't the large supermarkets that killed off my local
grocer type shops but the Tesco Metro. It's no larger than some of the
previous competition, but provides exactly what I, as a single person,
want. Ignoring price too. Previously, the local shops seemed only to
sell what they wanted to sell rather than what I actually wanted to
buy.

What do I want from this sort of shop? A selection of decent fresh
produce. Possibly ready made main courses of good quality if I'm in a
hurry. And the fact they have a car park is a big plus.

Supermarkets just do things right. Owners of all small shops had the
opportunity to do that too, but only a few of them did. Jack Cohen, for one,
who started with a market stall.

Si