Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default And now, for something completely different -

"charlieb" wrote in message
You probably aren't going to see an article on how to make these
in any turning magazine and I doubt one will be included in any
wood turning show. The range of objects to turn is pretty
broad - but these things weren't even on my "one of these days
I'm gonna turn some ..." list. And if you've followed my turning
journey at all you know I've headed down some off the wall
tangents.

Got some small scraps?

Got a kid, niece or nephew who things tattoos are way cool
and awesome? Well make a few of these and show them. They
may come to understand that we "older people" were
young - and stupid - once. It's far easier to BE a unique
person than to LOOK like one.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../EarPlugs.html

Hmmmm -cut 'em into two parts, some small rare earth magnets,
a little epoxy - A Parent Phreak Out item! The Teen Market would
eat them up! I could retire on the income! Oh wait, I've already
"retired".

That is just like you Charlie. You talk to somebody for a couple minutes and
it *turns* into another lathe project.

As an old marketing guy and having known a couple tattoo artists, I can
tell you that this market is there and can be accessed readily if you have a
desireable product. They have conventions and publications. If you wanted
to develop this product, you could probably ending up with a nice little
sideline.

There are lots of folks who would happily represent you at any of the
gatherings around the country. If you came up with a comprehensive line of
products, I am sure that people would buy from you directly as well as shops
for their clients.You could make them out of soapstone, onyx, etc. You
could inlay semi precious stones. You could wood burn in some desighs.
Maybe have a glass or mirror middle.

You could get on of those metal mini lathes and make stainless steel
turnings. You could mount jewelry findings to any kind of metal base.

These folks who modify their body are proud of their modifications. And just
like belly button jewelry, if given a chance, they would buy lots of
"jewelry" for their ear lobes. (maybe even a "bone" design)

I don't know if you would be interested in such a thing. But the market is
there and if you wanted to, you could easily develop it.

Lee Michaels