Posted to rec.woodworking

Default And now, for something completely different -

You probably aren't going to see an article on how to make these
in any turning magazine and I doubt one will be included in any
wood turning show. The range of objects to turn is pretty
broad - but these things weren't even on my "one of these days
I'm gonna turn some ..." list. And if you've followed my turning
journey at all you know I've headed down some off the wall
tangents.

Got some small scraps?

Got a kid, niece or nephew who things tattoos are way cool
and awesome? Well make a few of these and show them. They
may come to understand that we "older people" were
young - and stupid - once. It's far easier to BE a unique
person than to LOOK like one.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../EarPlugs.html

Hmmmm -cut 'em into two parts, some small rare earth magnets,
a little epoxy - A Parent Phreak Out item! The Teen Market would
eat them up! I could retire on the income! Oh wait, I've already
"retired".

Never mind.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

That is just like you Charlie. You talk to somebody for a couple minutes and
it *turns* into another lathe project.

As an old marketing guy and having known a couple tattoo artists, I can
tell you that this market is there and can be accessed readily if you have a
desireable product. They have conventions and publications. If you wanted
to develop this product, you could probably ending up with a nice little
sideline.

There are lots of folks who would happily represent you at any of the
gatherings around the country. If you came up with a comprehensive line of
products, I am sure that people would buy from you directly as well as shops
for their clients.You could make them out of soapstone, onyx, etc. You
could inlay semi precious stones. You could wood burn in some desighs.
Maybe have a glass or mirror middle.

You could get on of those metal mini lathes and make stainless steel
turnings. You could mount jewelry findings to any kind of metal base.

These folks who modify their body are proud of their modifications. And just
like belly button jewelry, if given a chance, they would buy lots of
"jewelry" for their ear lobes. (maybe even a "bone" design)

I don't know if you would be interested in such a thing. But the market is
there and if you wanted to, you could easily develop it.

Lee Michaels

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../EarPlugs.html
SNIP

Just a word of warning -- cocobolo contains the same irritant as
poison ivy does, and you don't want guys from a biker bar coming after you with
swollen earlobes.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just a word of warning -- cocobolo contains the same irritant as
poison ivy does, and you don't want guys from a biker bar coming after you
with
swollen earlobes.

-- Andy Barss

Andy,

That's very insensitive of you... All of us drunken, violent bikers with
ear lobe adornments aren't necessarily irritated by Cocobola... Jeez. G
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

Dilbert ran into something similar: a vendor selling "nose puppies." They
are small, ceramic puppies that one stuffs up one's nose. "Find a need and
fill it," was the vendor's motto.

The vendor also offered: "I'm not doing it for the money. I just want to
leave the world a better place."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee:

Thanks for plenty of great ideas and info about marketing. Perhaps
someone here will follow through on it.

Me, I did custom jewelry for about 15 years. Didn't make much
money but got to be part of peoples lives via the pieces I made
for them. I did a pair of wedding rings for a couple I don't recall
meeting in person. Everything was done by mail. They sent
me a few sketches, I sent them the wax patterns, they sent
back suggested changes - and the wax. Took a while for everyone
to be satisfied. Was fun since she was in Iowa and he was in Oregon.
Got christma cards from them for years.

Maybe I'll just turn some of these 'til it gets boring - give them
away to surprised "pierced" strangers and leave behind some
very confused recipients. "Who was that masked man?"

Hi Ho Silver - AWAY!

The Merry Pranksters were on to something. And if
Wavy Gravy can still do it - well I sure as hell can.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:

Just a word of warning -- cocobolo contains the same irritant as
poison ivy does, and you don't want guys from a biker bar coming after you with
swollen earlobes.

Good point. Though I've shellaced all the ones I've done so far, I
guess it
could wear off after a while. Will look into wood toxicity. thanks
for the
heads up.

I did some death heads for some local Hells Angels back when I was
doing
lost wax cast jewelry. If you think Disney and Coca Cola protect
their
copywrited stuff, the Angels make lawyers look like pussycats. A guy
who hung around the college was posing as an Angel - wore colors and
had the Angel's wing tatooed on his right shoulder blade - apparently
part of the initiation ritual. The Angels rectified the copywrite
infringement by a) taking back all is Angels paraphanalia AND
b)removing
the tatoo via abrassion - on a cinder block wall. There were also
some "punative damages".

Deals were made with a handshake and they paid cash on receipt.
Never had a problem with any of them. Took a while to get to
know a few. One, "Nasty", carried a loaded 44 in the back of his
waste band. His favorite drink - pink lemonade, favorite song -
Paul Simon's "My Momma Loves Me".

Got to know two more - actual brothers. One was a marble
sculptor who had studied Michaelangelo and some of his copies
were truly amazing. The other brother was a pen and ink and
engraving artist who also was very very good.

That Book By Its Cover thing seems to be true - as is the
Do Unto Others thing. Pity that we seem to be forgetting
the latter more and more these days.

charlie b

ps - anyone have a set of plans for Nose Bones?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:55:08 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

That's very insensitive of you... All of us drunken, violent bikers with
ear lobe adornments aren't necessarily irritated by Cocobola... Jeez. G

Here I sit drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale after a nice ride on my
Trek, pulling on my earring, thinking "Cocobolo never bothered me..."

Oh... THAT kind of biker!
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's very insensitive of you... All of us drunken, violent bikers with
ear lobe adornments aren't necessarily irritated by Cocobola... Jeez.

Here I sit drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale after a nice ride on my
Trek, pulling on my earring, thinking "Cocobolo never bothered me..."

Oh... THAT kind of biker!

This is going way OT, but I once had a conversation with a guy that told me
he rode his bike 100 miles in a single day for the first time ever... And
then he told me he had been riding for 30 years... I wasn't impressed until
I realised that MY bike had an engine and his had pedals.

Same story but reversed happened to me with someone when I told him I did a
500+ mile ride the day before and he thought I was lying... Of course, he
had the pedal bike and I was on the engine-driven variety that time around.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article qgh2i.6154$Gm.4942@trnddc04, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

This is going way OT, but I once had a conversation with a guy that told me
he rode his bike 100 miles in a single day for the first time ever... And
then he told me he had been riding for 30 years... I wasn't impressed until
I realised that MY bike had an engine and his had pedals.

At least once a year, my father takes my sons on long-distance bicycle trips.
Last summer, they rode 78 miles in a day and a half.

Dad's going to be 76 this fall.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is going way OT, but I once had a conversation with a guy that told
me
he rode his bike 100 miles in a single day for the first time ever... And
then he told me he had been riding for 30 years... I wasn't impressed
until
I realised that MY bike had an engine and his had pedals.

At least once a year, my father takes my sons on long-distance bicycle
trips.
Last summer, they rode 78 miles in a day and a half.

Dad's going to be 76 this fall.

Your 76 year old dad is in better shape than me... I'm less than half his
age... Kudos to him!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" ...

That's very insensitive of you... All of us drunken, violent bikers with
ear lobe adornments aren't necessarily irritated by Cocobola... Jeez.

Here I sit drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale after a nice ride on my
Trek, pulling on my earring, thinking "Cocobolo never bothered me..."

Oh... THAT kind of biker!

This is going way OT, but I once had a conversation with a guy that told
me he rode his bike 100 miles in a single day for the first time ever...
And then he told me he had been riding for 30 years... I wasn't impressed
until I realised that MY bike had an engine and his had pedals.

Same story but reversed happened to me with someone when I told him I did
a 500+ mile ride the day before and he thought I was lying... Of course,
he had the pedal bike and I was on the engine-driven variety that time
around.

Just dragging this further off topic, 100 miles is considered a big day if
you are off-road motorcycling on tight single track trails in the Sawtooth
mountains. Only the hard core, very fast guys get 100 mile days. Last summer
we did a 35 mile ride that took us about 5 hours.

-Dean

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I can not imagine that... 100 miles *on-road* with an off-road capable bike
like the KLR, KLX, etc. would kill my tailbone and hips... Can't imagine
100 miles off-road at a much slower speed... With bumps and ruts and roots
and small furry animals scurrying away...

I've done 300+ miles at 30 MPH average speed... May 5th of this year
actually.... Left the house at 6:30 AM and got home at 6:29 PM. Thank god
for GPS and lots of really smal back roads through the NJ, PA and NY
farmlands...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

And to utterly drag the thread out into the weeds...

A fellow I know in Florida flys a single engine airplane. Its a larger
one and he often carrys a Honda 90 in the back when just he and his
wife are travelling.

One afternoon they dropped in on Sturgis, SD. They unloaded the
weenie bike, climbed on and putted off to the local mini-mart.
They then found out that the big motorcyce rally was occuring.
Came out of the store and found severel burley bikers looking over
this Honda 90. One of the bikers, seeing the Florida plates, asked
when they had left Florida. "Oh, about 7 this morning"

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
And to utterly drag the thread out into the weeds...

A fellow I know in Florida flys a single engine airplane. Its a larger
one and he often carrys a Honda 90 in the back when just he and his
wife are travelling.

One afternoon they dropped in on Sturgis, SD. They unloaded the
weenie bike, climbed on and putted off to the local mini-mart.
They then found out that the big motorcyce rally was occuring.
Came out of the store and found severel burley bikers looking over
this Honda 90. One of the bikers, seeing the Florida plates, asked
when they had left Florida. "Oh, about 7 this morning"

Nice... Unfortunately, there is a huge percentage of motorcyclists that
have the I-lie virus... You know, the one that fisherman have that causes
them to say there fish was *this big*... so they probably didn't believe him
even though it was true.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dean H. wrote:

Just dragging this further off topic, 100 miles is considered a big day if
you are off-road motorcycling on tight single track trails in the Sawtooth
mountains. Only the hard core, very fast guys get 100 mile days. Last summer
we did a 35 mile ride that took us about 5 hours.

In our case, 20 is a long day. G

Once a year, usually towards the end of the season, we do a group ride
we call "The death ride of the east", where we pedal 48 miles of
singletrack over 8-9 hours. The night before, we hide food and fluids
at road crossings. Most participants are in their 40's and 50's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Stutzman wrote:
One of the bikers, seeing the Florida plates, asked
when they had left Florida. "Oh, about 7 this morning"

That's great!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:56:26 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

Got a kid, niece or nephew who things tattoos are way cool
and awesome? Well make a few of these and show them. They
may come to understand that we "older people" were
young - and stupid - once. It's far easier to BE a unique
person than to LOOK like one.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../EarPlugs.html

Make a graduated set, small to large. They just keep inserting larger
ones until their ear lobes reach their shoulders. I seem to remember
something like that from an old National Geographic....

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
And to utterly drag the thread out into the weeds...

A fellow I know in Florida flys a single engine airplane. Its a larger
one and he often carrys a Honda 90 in the back when just he and his
wife are travelling.

One afternoon they dropped in on Sturgis, SD. They unloaded the
weenie bike, climbed on and putted off to the local mini-mart.
They then found out that the big motorcyce rally was occuring.
Came out of the store and found severel burley bikers looking over
this Honda 90. One of the bikers, seeing the Florida plates, asked
when they had left Florida. "Oh, about 7 this morning"

--
Frank Stutzman

That's a long way to go to just be dropping in. 1200 plus miles as the crow
flies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
And to utterly drag the thread out into the weeds...

and set it on fire...

A fellow I know in Florida flys a single engine airplane. Its a larger
one and he often carrys a Honda 90 in the back when just he and his
wife are travelling.

One afternoon they dropped in on Sturgis, SD.

My high school dura mater. If the wind was the usual direction (usual being
about 364.25 days per year) on final the double-wide on the right about 1/4
mile away belongs to...

They unloaded the
weenie bike, climbed on and putted off to the local mini-mart.
They then found out that the big motorcyce rally was occuring.
Came out of the store and found severel burley bikers looking over
this Honda 90. One of the bikers, seeing the Florida plates, asked
when they had left Florida. "Oh, about 7 this morning"

Great story. Thanks!

-- Mark