Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

"George Grapman" wrote in message
et...
Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something
done
by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to
think
differently on this. What do you think?

Steve
In a small town the police would probably respond. In a big city,
they would refer you to whoever enforces city licensing requirements.
In both places there is someone who wants to make sure the city gets
money for licenses. Getting someone to respond because you lost money
is harder than getting someone to respond because the city probably
lost money.

Dan

True. I have noticed, though, in small towns, the police take note of
"traveling tradesmen" and others that are not familiar. And they have
the time to do so. They know a lot of the local people, and those from
outside the area are very noticeable.

Steve

Correct. Many years ago I lived in a rural town and had a sales job
that sent me on the road. Once I was going door to door to businesses and
a cop asked me who I represented. He explained that I needed to come to
the station to register.He was polite and had m get in the front seat.
At the station the chief explained what is called a Green River Ordinance
which requires itinerant sales people to register (there was no fee).
He then had the dispatcher radio the officer who drove me back to my car.

Thank you for the calm lucid rational answer from someone who's been there,
done that. I, also, have had experiences all over this land. I just get
aggravated when I try to bring them here, and some want to attack even the
premise.

It's like, if they've never seen the Statue of Liberty, they swear it cannot
exist.

Wikipedia on Green River Ordinance:

The name Green River Ordinance is given to a common American city ordinance
prohibiting door-to-door solicitation. Under such an ordinance, it is
illegal for any business to sell their items door-to-door without express
permission from the household beforehand. Some versions prohibit all
organizations, including non-profit charitable, political, and religious
groups, from soliciting or canvassing any household that makes it clear, in
writing, that it does not want such solicitations (generally with a "No
Trespassing" or "No Solicitations" sign posted.)

The ordinance is named for the city of Green River, Wyoming, the first city
to enact it.

The ordinance has been brought before the Supreme Court for challenge in
several times. While the court has upheld these ordinances when they
prohibit intrastate commerce (seeing the issue as a state's rights issue),
more recent decisions suggest that a total ban on door to door soliciting
would be found unconstitutional and unenforceable on the grounds of
religious free speech and commercial free speech when the ordinances ban
religious or interstate solicitations.

end of Wikipedia

So, therefore, if the person who was solicited for the driveway work lived
in a town where the Green River Ordinance was in effect, all they had to do
was call the police, and they would have taken care of the whole (eventual)
mess. Or, the town may have had their OWN ordinance. Like a fellow said,
all the town is interested in is getting their cut. For some small towns,
their radar guns and enforcement of local laws on tourists, outsiders and
the uninformed brings in revenues.

Steve