Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

wrote:

BILGE SNIPPED

Racist little prick, aren't you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In these parts we call it "Gypsy Paint" and now you know why....

--.- Dave

[snip]

So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
"drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 12, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something done
by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to think
differently on this. What do you think?

Steve

In a small town the police would probably respond. In a big city,
they would refer you to whoever enforces city licensing requirements.
In both places there is someone who wants to make sure the city gets
money for licenses. Getting someone to respond because you lost money
is harder than getting someone to respond because the city probably
lost money.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something
done
by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to
think
differently on this. What do you think?

Steve

In a small town the police would probably respond. In a big city,
they would refer you to whoever enforces city licensing requirements.
In both places there is someone who wants to make sure the city gets
money for licenses. Getting someone to respond because you lost money
is harder than getting someone to respond because the city probably
lost money.

Dan

True. I have noticed, though, in small towns, the police take note of
"traveling tradesmen" and others that are not familiar. And they have the
time to do so. They know a lot of the local people, and those from outside
the area are very noticeable.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Correct. Many years ago I lived in a rural town and had a sales job
that sent me on the road. Once I was going door to door to businesses
and a cop asked me who I represented. He explained that I needed to come
to the station to register.He was polite and had m get in the front seat.
At the station the chief explained what is called a Green River
Ordinance which requires itinerant sales people to register (there was
no fee).
He then had the dispatcher radio the officer who drove me back to my car.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 12, 12:09 pm, Ignoramus6369
wrote:
It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
"drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago. When
they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't
pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we don't know
where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

Viv

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"George Grapman" wrote in message
et...
Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 12, 4:12 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the calm lucid rational answer from someone who's been there,
done that. I, also, have had experiences all over this land. I just get
aggravated when I try to bring them here, and some want to attack even the
premise.

It's like, if they've never seen the Statue of Liberty, they swear it cannot
exist.

Wikipedia on Green River Ordinance:

The name Green River Ordinance is given to a common American city ordinance
prohibiting door-to-door solicitation. Under such an ordinance, it is
illegal for any business to sell their items door-to-door without express
permission from the household beforehand. Some versions prohibit all
organizations, including non-profit charitable, political, and religious
groups, from soliciting or canvassing any household that makes it clear, in
writing, that it does not want such solicitations (generally with a "No
Trespassing" or "No Solicitations" sign posted.)

The ordinance is named for the city of Green River, Wyoming, the first city
to enact it.

The ordinance has been brought before the Supreme Court for challenge in
several times. While the court has upheld these ordinances when they
prohibit intrastate commerce (seeing the issue as a state's rights issue),
more recent decisions suggest that a total ban on door to door soliciting
would be found unconstitutional and unenforceable on the grounds of
religious free speech and commercial free speech when the ordinances ban
religious or interstate solicitations.

end of Wikipedia

So, therefore, if the person who was solicited for the driveway work lived
in a town where the Green River Ordinance was in effect, all they had to do
was call the police, and they would have taken care of the whole (eventual)
mess. Or, the town may have had their OWN ordinance. Like a fellow said,
all the town is interested in is getting their cut. For some small towns,
their radar guns and enforcement of local laws on tourists, outsiders and
the uninformed brings in revenues.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"New Leaf" wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago. When
they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't
pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we don't know
where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

Viv

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you drive so
they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you
have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Steve B wrote:
"New Leaf" wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I
wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we
don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you have a dog
or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Mindless paranoia.

You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 12 May 2007 16:35:39 -0500, Ignoramus6369
wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:29:58 GMT, Mike Dobony wrote:

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message
[...]

Fraud. For starters. Down in the 'merican south? perhaps not. Up here
in Canada it depends how slow a day they are having. They take a
strong stand against that kind of scam in our locale.

Poor judgment in the first place. Second, having work done without a signed
contract. Third, not taking their license number and calling the police.

Would you think that the police would have any interest?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:28:23 GMT, ted frater
wrote:

Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like?

Home Depot? That's a big retail store that combines electrical,
plumbing, gardening and nursery, paint, lumber, millwork, roofing,
siding, tools, and cleaning supplies among other things... All in one
place so you don't have to make 10 separate stops at specialty shops
to blow your entire paycheck on home repair supplies.

But that part you probably already knew... ;-)

Here in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
available in 45gall barrels.
Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a
smell of ammonia about it till dry.

Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
to an existing road surface.

They sell that same basic coal-tar emulsion coating compound, but in
the 5 US Gallon (4 Imperial) pails so you can do your own driveway.
Of course, the steel pails and lids cost $5 dollars plus, and the
shipping eats a lot more, so you're paying for the convenience.

The professional coating companies here get the same emulsion
coatings in bulk in their truck from a regional supplier. They could
probably get it in (55 Gal US/45 Imp) drums, but then you have to deal
with the mess of someone handling (~500 pounds/ ~225 Kg) tapping and
dispensing from drums, and handling & returning all the empties and
dealing with drum deposit fees... A 500-gallon tank bolted down on
the back of a truck is a lot easier and cleaner to deal with, just
open the valve.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 13 May 2007 08:28:23 GMT, ted frater
wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Likely a truck from a county job or a school job or such - had leftovers
and made money on the side... No return to sender.

I hope the 'oil' they sprayed sets up and turns firm. Often it is very
high in oil and doesn't setup.

We had our road system - 15 houses - have shale bits about 2" deep and then
a heavy screen over it.

The other process - we liked better - oil down and then stones. This one
spread stone for some time. The first one - the oil trapped the stone -
and when we rode on it - the stone meshed between lower and upper oils.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Coal tar emulsion - makes nasty discolouration on light vinyl floors,
even months after application.

wrote:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like? Here
in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
available in 45gall barrels.
Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a
smell of ammonia about it till dry.

Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
to an existing road surface.
Not the same as tar tho.
Hope someone can enlighten me.
Ted Dorset UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus6369 wrote:

.. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

a. wouldn't give them another dime.

b. get someone reliable to finish the job, even if I had to redo the
whole mess.

c. see if my local newpaper would print an article alerting the
public
to the deal. ( I thought the whole WORLD was onto the
paving, termite, meat-about-to-go-bad, and roofing schemes.)

With this type of job, I get the particulars in writing beforehand,
see a license and insurance,
and MIGHT pay enough to just buy materials. I tell them I will only
pay with a cashiers check,
when they say cash only. I want a record!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

val189 wrote:
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

a. wouldn't give them another dime.

b. get someone reliable to finish the job, even if I had to redo the
whole mess.

c. see if my local newpaper would print an article alerting the
public
to the deal. ( I thought the whole WORLD was onto the
paving, termite, meat-about-to-go-bad, and roofing schemes.)

With this type of job, I get the particulars in writing beforehand,
see a license and insurance,
and MIGHT pay enough to just buy materials. I tell them I will only
pay with a cashiers check,
when they say cash only. I want a record!!

Start out by asking for a business card with their contractors
license number on it.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

[...]

Those were some stupid scammers.

Generally, we go to Chinese restaurants once a week, to get used vegetable
oil to spray. We charge the restaurant $100 to haul it away.

We tell the consumer it's a mineral-colloid-stabilized, emulsified refined
coal tar suitable for use as a weather-protective.

Once we get started, we always find some wide cracks. We then tell the
consumer, it's going to take an extra $125 to fill the cracks permanently.
I ramble on to the consumer about this special fill used for asphalt. It's
nothing more than drywall compound (Durabond 30).

When we leave the job which was originally quoted @ $150 - $200, it is
always at least $500 + . The stupid ass consumer has a nice shiny driveway
for about a year, and little knowledge of what was really applied to it.

Between the 4 crews each doing about 4 drives a day, you can make a pretty
good $ on stupid people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"New Leaf" wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I
wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we
don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools,
mowers, if you have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Mindless paranoia.

You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

You don't get out a lot, do you? Lots and lots of rapes, murders,
burglaries, and other things committed by people posing as someone they're
not. Facts, not mindless paranoia. If you can't read the newspapers,
there's local TV news each evening at around six. Don't own a TV? Well, I
guess you are going to have to splurge $10 on a cheap AM radio. They have
news on the hour every hour.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Iggy 2" wrote in message

[...]

Good grief! Now, even with all the obsessive perfectionists, "honest"
people, the anal, the netnannies, and grumps, we got morphing trolls.

Bye.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mon, 14 May 2007 04:36:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"New Leaf" wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I
wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we
don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools, mowers, if you have a dog
or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Mindless paranoia.

Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor
twist the door knob?

I always answer my door in full force: by any means I was taught to
kill with, though not so noticeable to my door knocker.

You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

--
Oren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Oren" wrote

Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor
twist the door knob?

A number of towns around me started implementing laws
that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a couple
of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she let him in for
a glass of water.

I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

nancy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Shoot the *******s. It was probably also used crank case oil.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in
message ...
:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Racking slide on shotgun sure helps keep your door closed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Oren" wrote in message
:
: Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the
solicitor
: twist the door knob?
:
: I always answer my door in full force: by any means I was
taught to
: kill with, though not so noticeable to my door knocker.
:
: --
: Oren
:
: "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good
ideas!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 13 May 2007 19:24:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:
I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

nancy

You are so right. It don't happen in Las Vegas - all the time. They
pass out flyers (strip) for me to have an erotic escort. Hell I'm
local with no need.

The police know they are there and might even understand when I push
the guy out of my space or on his ass when I walk the street.

Just like me answering the front door. The person ought to really know
what he is up against. Don't get me wrong. I don't cut or shoot
everyone knocking on the door.

--
Oren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Steve B wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve B wrote
New Leaf wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I wouldn't pay more, they stared
me down and said, "It's not like we don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools,
mowers, if you have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Mindless paranoia.

You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

You don't get out a lot, do you?

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

Lots and lots of rapes, murders, burglaries, and other things committed by people posing as
someone they're not.

Yes, but its just not feasible to never ever let anyone anywhere
near your house just in case its one of those. And **** all of
those you mention above are spraying scammers or even just
door to door sales fools anyway. Too easy to identify those.

Facts, not mindless paranoia.

Your claim that you should ensure that no one can get anywhere
near your house is just completely mindless paranoia.

If you can't read the newspapers, there's local TV news each evening at around six. Don't own a
TV? Well, I guess you are going to have to splurge $10 on a cheap AM radio. They have news on
the hour every hour.

And those report **** all spraying scammers doing anything more than con the stupid, stupid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Oren wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve B wrote
New Leaf wrote

I had the same thing happen with guys delivering mulch years ago.
When they asked for more than the original estimate and I said I
wouldn't pay more, they stared me down and said, "It's not like we
don't know where you live." It was crappy mulch, too.

They also can take note of such things as: what kind of a car you
drive so they know if you're home or not, bicycles, other cars, tools,
mowers, if you have a dog or not, other items convertible to cash.

Doing business with people who solicit door to door is dangerous stuff.

Mindless paranoia.

Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor twist the door knob?

Not even possible here, no rotating door knob, the front door is a big sliding glass patio door.

I always answer my door in full force: by any means I was
taught to kill with, though not so noticeable to my door knocker.

More fool you. Just another utterly mindless paranoid loon.

You can make the same utterly mindless claim about those who do
work at your house, or who deliver stuff, including the post monkeys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Nancy Young wrote:
"Oren" wrote

Have you ever NOT answered your door and then observe the solicitor
twist the door knob?

A number of towns around me started implementing laws
that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a
couple of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she
let him in for a glass of water.

I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

Pity the real crims wont bother to register with the cops.

Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote

Rod Speed?

Is that the speed of your dick typing?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Oren" wrote

Just like me answering the front door. The person ought to really know
what he is up against. Don't get me wrong. I don't cut or shoot
everyone knocking on the door.

--
Oren

Me neither, but I get one every once in a while. I have a nice looking
round headed big nail on the backside of my front door. It's for hanging a
holster. I talk with people now and then at the front door, and they have
no idea I have a gun in my right hand. I also write down license plates.
Just a hobby for us paranoid fools.

Don't know about where lots of folks live, but where Oren and I do, home
invasion is a common thing. Occasionally ending someone's death. It is
also common to be attacked in your garage with the door open. I have a
loaded gun in four different areas. I also carry pepper spray almost all of
the time. Violent crimes happen in big cities, rural, and small town
America. Anyone who thinks not is a troll or just mentally not all there.

Glad I'm moving out of this hell hole soon. Taking a big load of furniture
to Utah in the morning. Tools are going to take about two loads. Looking
forward to life in a town of 935 people. Maybe I'll forget about all this,
and start posting that everyone who carries a gun or thinks they can be
assaulted or preyed upon are just paranoid fools.

Nah. Last year there was a homicide in that little town of 935.

I was a part time coroner's investigator for a while. As a newcomer and a
part timer, all of my calls were "natural" deaths. But I was a part of the
office that deals with the dark side of what one human does to another, and
heard and saw a lot of things first hand. We had a word for people who
walked around thinking everyone was paranoid, and that nothing could happen
to THEM: prey.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

A number of towns around me started implementing laws
that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a
couple of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she
let him in for a glass of water.

I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

Pity the real crims wont bother to register with the cops.

The point is they are breaking the law if they knock on your door
and the police will respond if they are reported.

Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling ****, you think I
care if they're inconvenienced?

If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

I'm not paranoid. But thanks for playing.

nancy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

It would get the attention of the scammers and get them registered.
Depending on the community, it might get them followed and they will head
out of town. All depends on the police department.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Some gutless paranoid ****wit desperately cowering behind
Steve B wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Rod Speed?

Is that the speed of your dick typing?

Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Nancy Young wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nancy Young wrote

A number of towns around me started implementing laws
that door to door salespeople had to register. You know those
magazine salespeople? They are recruited in the inner cities,
bussed to the suburbs and dropped off. Many of them have
criminal backgrounds. Sounds like some paranoid story I'm making
up. How much money are they making off these subscriptions to make
this scheme worthwhile?? At any rate, they can be trouble, and a
couple of years back one of them murdered an elderly lady when she
let him in for a glass of water.

I don't think it's paranoia to have sales people ... or whomever ...
register so they are on notice, the police know you're in the area.

Pity the real crims wont bother to register with the cops.

The point is they are breaking the law if they knock on your door

No they arent if they have registered.

and the police will respond if they are reported.

And you have no practical way of checking if they have registered with the cops or not.

Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling ****, you think I care if they're
inconvenienced?

The crims that matter arent, fool.

If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

I'm not paranoid.

Corse you are.

But thanks for playing.

Pathetic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

That is the same stuff we used. So it seems.

As I recall - If you are having it done - ask about Type I and Type II.

One is under the stone and the other is over the stone. Over is best.
And we did it every 4-5 years or in sections as needed. A storm dropping
20 inches in a couple of days might blow out some road...

I'm out of the rain forest and into the rain plains.

wrote:

[...]

http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like? Here
in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
available in 45gall barrels.
Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a smell
of ammonia about it till dry.

Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
to an existing road surface.
Not the same as tar tho.
Hope someone can enlighten me.
Ted Dorset UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" (clip) And you have no practical way of checking if they have
registered with the cops or not. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't they get paperwork that they are required to show on demand?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"val189" wrote:
( I thought the whole WORLD was onto the
paving, termite, meat-about-to-go-bad, and roofing schemes.)

Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was in college - thanks to
the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half price!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote

Nancy Young wrote

and the police will respond if they are reported.

And you have no practical way of checking if they have registered with the
cops or not.

Just last week I had this new thing installed, it's called a phone.
People use it to report suspicious activity.

Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling ****, you think I
care if they're inconvenienced?

The crims that matter arent, fool.

Crims, is that a new word?

If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

I'm not paranoid.

Corse you are.

Another new word.

But thanks for playing.

Pathetic.

Indeed.

nancy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Leo Lichtman" wrote

"Rod Speed" (clip) And you have no practical way of checking if they have
registered with the cops or not. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't they get paperwork that they are required to show on demand?

Yes, and people who have it can't wait to show it to you.

I wouldn't ask for it if they didn't, I'd say no thanks, then call after
they left. Luckily we get very few door to door people, mostly
Jehovah, and the occasional kid selling candy or cookies.

nancy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Nancy Young wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nancy Young wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nancy Young wrote

[...]

Hardly anyone bothers to do with every door to door monkey.

Just another terminally stupid system that only inconveniences those
who arent the problem and does nothing about those who are.

Screw that, if they are knocking on my door selling ****, you think
I care if they're inconvenienced?

The crims that matter arent, fool.

Crims, is that a new word?

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to
work out what its a contraction of in the context.

If you're that paranoid, it makes a hell of a lot more sense
to have decent secure security cameras so you can give
the cops the footage when something undesirable happens.

I'm not paranoid.

Corse you are.

Another new word.

Like it or lump it.

But thanks for playing.

Pathetic.

Indeed.

Pathetic.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Jon Danniken" wrote: Hehe, I lived on "meat about to go bad" when I was
in college - thanks to the local Albertson's for selling it to me at half
price!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is that different from aging, which sells for MORE?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote

Nancy Young wrote

[...]

Best to filter Rod.

HVAC Scammers [email protected] Home Repair 28 July 7th 06 07:16 PM
Driveway setback, sneaky neighbor [email protected] Home Ownership 17 June 18th 06 10:21 PM
Woodsmith scammers Rob V Woodworking 16 March 31st 06 03:55 PM
Ebay scammers shot Roy Metalworking 1 January 27th 06 07:34 AM
Was I scammed? Ellen Ridenbaucher Home Repair 24 August 3rd 05 06:29 PM