Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Likely a truck from a county job or a school job or such - had leftovers
and made money on the side... No return to sender.

I hope the 'oil' they sprayed sets up and turns firm. Often it is very
high in oil and doesn't setup.

We had our road system - 15 houses - have shale bits about 2" deep and then
a heavy screen over it.

The other process - we liked better - oil down and then stones. This one
spread stone for some time. The first one - the oil trapped the stone -
and when we rode on it - the stone meshed between lower and upper oils.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus6369 wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:29:58 GMT, Mike Dobony
wrote:

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message

It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
"drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Poor judgment in the first place. Second, having work done without a
signed contract. Third, not taking their license number and calling
the police.

Would you think that the police would have any interest?

News==----
Newsgroups

Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like? Here
in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
available in 45gall barrels.
Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a
smell of ammonia about it till dry.

Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
to an existing road surface.
Not the same as tar tho.
Hope someone can enlighten me.
Ted Dorset UK.