Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
"drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50 to
finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Ignoramus6369" wrote: (clip) What would be a sensible thing to do in these
lousy circumstances?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ask to see their business license, and start dialing city hall on the cell
phone. The problem is, the same brain that got your neighbor into that
situation is trying to get him out of it. The best way to get out of
trouble is to stay out in the first place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus6369 wrote:

[...]

At my age, my rules for a happy life a

1. Never stand when you can sit.

2. Never pass up an opportunity to take a leak.

3. never trust a fart.

4. Never waste an erection.

and most importantly...

5. Never pay tradesmen in advance.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message
It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

Well, paying in advance was his first problem. After that she is pretty
well lost, assuming they are con men.

Years ago I hired a reputable landscaper to put in a 6 course retaining
wall. They put in 5 courses and said they were done. When I complained he
said he had used up all his budgeted materials, so there was nothing he
could do. I was going to sue him, and I would have certainly won, but my
wife begged me not to. It was very painful to let that go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 12, 11:43 am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Ignoramus6369 wrote:
[...]

The speed of light is 1.98*1014 fathoms per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

And I think #5 is key here, unless he was gonna have sex with the
contractor too, then #4 would apply.

These driveby seal coat guys are well known for having a high
percentage of scammers. I would never use one period, because even
if you pay them at the end, you don't know what they put down. And
you can bet many of them use the cheapest crap that will look good
right after it goes on, but might not last a month.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:43:02 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

At my age, my rules for a happy life a

4. Never waste an erection.

and most importantly...

I think number 4 would be the most important. I can't figure out how
to win a race with a pee hard back to bed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus6369 wrote:

What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Make an On-Topic posting in the right group?

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:43:02 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

5. Never pay tradesmen in advance.

If a contractor is doing work that requires him to make significant
material purchases, paying half, or paying for the materials, is perfectly
reasonable.

--
As he backed away from Maryann, away from his rope, away from his
intentions to harm her, and, hopefully, away from his image of himself

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

[...]

Poor judgment in the first place. Second, having work done without a signed
contract. Third, not taking their license number and calling the police.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus6369 wrote:
[...]

Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus6369 wrote in
:

What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Get license plate, start dialing police, letting them know you are doing
it. They would most likely finish it without the extra money to keep the
police out of the area. When they leave, call the police anyway and
report the scam and license so the guy a block down doesn't get taken.

Rule #1. Always get it in writing.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

[...]

Swallow hard, take down the license plate number, and walk away a wiser man.
Then get on the phone and start calling local authorities.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:29:58 GMT, Mike Dobony wrote:

[...]

Would you think that the police would have any interest?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

It depends on the jurisdiction. In some places, they might consider it
grounds for fraud. In others, they would refer you to the proper civil
channel to connect to. And then lots of time, these guys are just "casing"
and return later to pick up loose items at houses where they know what kind
of car is parked in the driveway when someone is home, whether or not you
have a dog, etc. It really all depends on the local authorities, and you'd
have a better chance in a small town where the police are less busy than in
a big city.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 12, 4:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, like local authorities don't have anything better to do than
waste their time on this crap? They're gonna tell you it's a
contract dispute, it's a civil matter, and take it to court if you
like. Good luck there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote

Yeah, like local authorities don't have anything better to do than
waste their time on this crap? They're gonna tell you it's a
contract dispute, it's a civil matter, and take it to court if you
like. Good luck there.

I guess you didn't read my post very well. I see that you even snipped it.
I shall repost it. This time, if you don't read it all, JUST READ THE FIRST
SENTENCE.

HTH, but I doubt it.

repeat of my post

It depends on the jurisdiction. In some places, they might consider it
grounds for fraud. In others, they would refer you to the proper civil
channel to connect to. And then lots of time, these guys are just "casing"
and return later to pick up loose items at houses where they know what kind
of car is parked in the driveway when someone is home, whether or not you
have a dog, etc. It really all depends on the local authorities, and you'd
have a better chance in a small town where the police are less busy than in
a big city.

Now go take a blood pressure pill and a nap.

Sheesh.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 12, 3:15 pm, wrote:
On May 12, 4:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message

m...

[...]

Maybe, but here I suspect they would locate them and determine if they
had a city business license.
If not they would be happy to make sure they paid the city a nice fine
for not having a license. You might not get your money back, but they
might not be able to keep the money.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 12, 3:15 pm, wrote:
On May 12, 4:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something done
by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to think
differently on this. What do you think?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 12, 9:41 pm, Rocky "the rookie" wrote:

Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.

Geez. Ever heard of being friendly with your neighbours?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Your friend is lucky if what his driveway was sprayed with was not
simply drained crankcase oil.

That's what the "Gypsy Travelers" usually use in their scams.

Tell your friend that he is now a "sucker of the first order"!!!!!!
Hell, most of us learned about this scam well before we were old
enough to have sex!

Harry C.

On May 12, 12:09 pm, Ignoramus6369
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Steve B" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 12, 3:15 pm, wrote:
On May 12, 4:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

In the small towns I have lived in, yeah, the local law does roust drive-by
scammers like this pretty hard, mainly because their preferred victims
usually have gray hair. Young homeowners usually don't care how driveway
looks, or are strong enough to go to Home Despot, and get a mop and couple
5-gallon buckets of glop and do it themselves.

aem sends...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Ignoramus6369 wrote:
[...]

Block the driveway with your car.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 13 May 2007 00:58:02 GMT, George Grapman wrote:
Ignoramus6369 wrote:
[...]

These were my own thoughts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

[...]

Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
cops.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:11:23 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
cops.

My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Ignoramus6369 wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:11:23 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
cops.

My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

It depends. Probably in smaller towns, yes. In a large urban community,
its a definite maybe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:11:23 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
cops.

My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

I know that in our town they'd have some interest and maybe even make the
local news to be on the lookout for scams. If not properly licensed, they'd
at least run them out of town.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:11:23 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Well, if you were foolish enough to take that deal, you would probably
also be foolish enough to pay the additional $50. Your neighbor should
have turned around and demanded his money back after quietly calling the
cops.

My main question is, would cops be interested in these people or not.

Iggy, it's hard to say. Police go to schools to learn what constitutes a
crime and what does not. It protects them from false arrest lawsuits. When
a crime has been committed, they WILL act. When it is the kind of issue
that needs to be addressed by civil channels, they will usually steer you to
someone you can make a complaint to.

The best thing to do in these situations is to call the police, tell them
that you feel you are in a threatening situation, and let them come out and
make a determination. That way, if they can do something, they do it right
then. If not, they advise the reporting person, and move on. After all,
the man was making demands for money your neighbor felt he did not owe. In
this situation, telling the workmen that you don't know what to do, so you
have called the police to come out, and you will do whatever they say. The
workmen usually vaporize right after that. I had a painter leave so fast he
left half his gear.

AS I SAID BEFORE, it really depends on where you live. Smaller towns have
more time to deal with these situations, where in a bigger city, you might
not even get anyone to respond. I don't know the size of your town, so you
would be the best judge of that.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Well friend, if you waited until 60 to get laid, you are a very
exceptional person or maybe Irish. In most regions of the US, normal
kids have sex before the age of 15. I wanted to have sex since I was
12, but the girls I knew hadn't yet reached puberty. Actually, the
first real sex that I ever had was at the age of 19, and I married the
girl. We'll celebrate our 49th on July 11th.

Also, by the age of 12, unless retarded and riding the short bus, most
kids know about the Gypsy Travelers, who are usually of Irish origin,
and derived from the "Tinkers", not Gypsy's at all. Most are the scum
of Ireland. If you don't know who the Tinkers are, consult an
irishman or Google.

Damn, what is it with you young people, are you mentally regarded or
simply stupid. I cannot imagine anyone today not being familiar with
the 'Irish Traveler' scam. What has been described in this thread is
precisely what they do for a living. Damn, how dumb can you get!

Harry C.

On May 12, 8:02 pm, Terry wrote:
On 12 May 2007 16:29:16 -0700, wrote:

Your friend is lucky if what his driveway was sprayed with was not
simply drained crankcase oil.

That's what the "Gypsy Travelers" usually use in their scams.

Tell your friend that he is now a "sucker of the first order"!!!!!!
Hell, most of us learned about this scam well before we were old
enough to have sex!

Harry C.

Speak for yourself. Most of us didn't wait until we were 60 to get
laid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:33:52 -0700, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Makes sense. We live in a suburb. Not too yuppie, but in a place where
most people do mow the lawn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote: (clip) Damn, what is it with you young people,
are you mentally regarded or
simply stupid.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do I get my choice? I'll choose "mentally regarded."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Likely a truck from a county job or a school job or such - had leftovers
and made money on the side... No return to sender.

I hope the 'oil' they sprayed sets up and turns firm. Often it is very
high in oil and doesn't setup.

We had our road system - 15 houses - have shale bits about 2" deep and then
a heavy screen over it.

The other process - we liked better - oil down and then stones. This one
spread stone for some time. The first one - the oil trapped the stone -
and when we rode on it - the stone meshed between lower and upper oils.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus6369 wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:29:58 GMT, Mike Dobony wrote:

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Rocky "the rookie" wrote:

[...]

Just be glad it was $50. BTW, you should MYOB, you're a nosey sob.

Are you this big an asshole in real life?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

Perhaps someone could explain what this Home Depot stuff is like? Here
in the UK there is whats called Colas. A Coal industry product.
this is an emulsion ie water miscable till it dries then its like
rubber solution/ water proof and wont dissolve in the rain.
Its not normally available at our equivalent Home Depot store but is
available in 45gall barrels.
Its been used here in the UK for as long as I can remember. Has a
smell of ammonia about it till dry.

Its very dk brown when out of the tin and black and shiny when dry. Used
under stone chippings and as an adhesive before fresh tarmac is applied
to an existing road surface.
Not the same as tar tho.
Hope someone can enlighten me.
Ted Dorset UK.

HVAC Scammers [email protected] Home Repair 28 July 7th 06 08:16 PM
Driveway setback, sneaky neighbor [email protected] Home Ownership 17 June 18th 06 11:21 PM
Woodsmith scammers Rob V Woodworking 16 March 31st 06 04:55 PM
Ebay scammers shot Roy Metalworking 1 January 27th 06 08:34 AM
Was I scammed? Ellen Ridenbaucher Home Repair 24 August 3rd 05 07:29 PM