Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Propane weed burner question

"Jack S" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've got a rock "lawn" and I would like to quit using herbicide for
killing weeds, and try scorching them instead.

There are a lot of weed / roofing torches on ebay and I was wondering if
there is anything to choose for or against in buying one. The one I'm
leaning toward getting says: "3000+ Fahrenheit" - that's enough, right?

Thanks

Guessing that's about the temperature the bonfire 2 years ago burned at its
height of heat. Cutoff lumber from the builder, juniper ashe, a little live
oak. All dried for about 2 months first. Pile was over 10 feet high, 30
foot around, teepee fashion. Fire laughed at the garden hose at its height.
Absolutely nothing grew there for a full year. Put a raised bed garden over
the site.

There was nothing within 50 feet that was a potential for burning, no wind,
overcast, drizzly off and on that day. Watered down the area around the
fuel dump anyway, prior to lighting off. Aluminum cans, and glass bottles
were melted flat. Some steel in some nails melted. Used magnetic pickup
tool to get all the steel remaining afterwards.

You don't have enough propane to do that. Plus, the roots are hiding under
rocks instead of flat ground.

Something that will work for a a year or two is used motor oil. But, weeds
will come back with vengeance. It won't kill them entirely. But, its no
worse than the chemicals and consequential runoff from herbicides that you
have to pay additional money for.

Google "Barton Springs" and "herbicide"

Dave