Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wall Hung Toilets

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:57:18 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I am remodeling a very small bath room next to the pool, and therefore I
want to do something that takes up as little space as possible. There
will
be a walk in shower, a sink and a toilet.

I am thinking of using a wall hung sink and a wall hung toilet, this way
the
foot print is minimize (even eliminated) and will look cleaner.

I think the wall hung toilet will work, I just need to frame a 4x6 behind
the wall at the location where I intend to mount it and it should work.

I am worried about the wall hung toilet - I have rarely seen it in
residential applications, I know part of the waste line has to be inside
the
wall, and since the wall is all exposed now I can do whatever I need to.
assume I need to also move the drain opening from the floor to directly
under the wall, but what do I need to do to ensure it does not fall out
after some time? If a 300 pound man sits on it and strain...will it fall
out?

What is the strongest way to secure it? There seem to be a practical
limit
on how secure it really could be if the mounting surface is ceramic...it
seems.

MC

I have 2 of them in one of my houses and they have been there since about
1960.
No problems. There is a cast iron "x-frame" bolted between studs in the
wall
that supports everything. It isn't going to fail. Incredibly strong. It
would be
more likely that a standard toilet would fall through the floor. How often
does
THAT happen?

Huh. They still make residential wall-hung? I haven't seen one installed
since the late 60s. It does make keeping floor clean easier, but IIRC, they
did clog easier for some reason.

At work, they replaced a commercial wall-hung with a floor mounted (but
still wall-draining) stainless steel bowl unit, to accomodate a 375+ dude
that kept tearing out the wall anchors on the regular units. (expansion
anchors into hollow clay wall brick, vintage 1930? or so.)

aem sends...