Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 12, 3:15 pm, wrote:
On May 12, 4:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message

m...

It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his
is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid
extra
$50 and they finished the work.

So. I am aware that the general wisdom says do not give work to any
"drive by" people. But I would like to know, let's say that due to
poor judgment, it happened to me and these artists demand extra $50
finish. What would be a sensible thing to do in these lousy
circumstances?

Swallow hard, take down the license plate number, and walk away a wiser
man.
Then get on the phone and start calling local authorities.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, like local authorities don't have anything better to do than
waste their time on this crap? They're gonna tell you it's a
contract dispute, it's a civil matter, and take it to court if you
like. Good luck there.

Maybe, but here I suspect they would locate them and determine if they
had a city business license.
If not they would be happy to make sure they paid the city a nice fine
for not having a license. You might not get your money back, but they
might not be able to keep the money.

Dan

Dan, do YOU think that you'd have a better chance of getting something done
by the police in a small town or in a big city? trader and I seem to think
differently on this. What do you think?

Steve