Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gene S. Berkowitz Gene S. Berkowitz is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

In article ,
lid says...
It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

Gee, sounds like they're new at this scam; if they finished half, you'd
think they would be trying to extort another $175. Fifty bucks is only
slightly more than a decent tip.

--Gene