Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Toller Toller is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

"Ignoramus6369" wrote in message
It happened yesterday. A truck cruised in our neighborhood and I saw
them stop by our neighbor's house (we have a concrete driveway, his is
asphalt) and they talked. Then I went to do something else, the next
thing I know is that my neighbor's asphalt driveway was sprayed with
some tar like substance. So I went to talk to see what happened.

He said that he was scammed: they first agreed on a certain price
($175), they took the money, sprayed half of his driveway, then acted
all surprised and said that "it takes a lot more coating than they
expected" and demanded $50 more for finishing the work. I guess with
the implication that if he did not pay, they would drive off with his
driveway half sprayed looking really stupid. So, he said he paid extra
$50 and they finished the work.

Well, paying in advance was his first problem. After that she is pretty
well lost, assuming they are con men.

Years ago I hired a reputable landscaper to put in a 6 course retaining
wall. They put in 5 courses and said they were done. When I complained he
said he had used up all his budgeted materials, so there was nothing he
could do. I was going to sue him, and I would have certainly won, but my
wife begged me not to. It was very painful to let that go.