Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default North American wood

On May 11, 10:14 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Michael Faurot" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Michael Faurot"

wrote:

I can't really say whether I'd rather have a table made of Beech or
Maple--I've never seen Beech (that I was aware of). Which is part of
my musing about what it is that makes these other types of woods less
available.

Beech vs maple is an easy one: unless quartersawn, beech warps all over
creation. Quartersawing is a PITA for the sawyer, and the yield is lower.
Using maple is just easier all around.

Well, since I wrote that message, I did some looking around and I've
seen some Beech now. It reminds me of Oak, but without the open pores and
a little softer. I rather like the look of it myself.

I do too -- and quartersawn, it's really pretty.

So I guess if I were to see two tables, constructed and finished in a
similar fashion, I'd probably opt for the Beech table if
it was less expensive and I didn't need the table to withstand a lot
of abuse. If this was to be dining table--definitely Maple as that
should stand up better to abuse.

Depends on which type of maple. Beech is not as hard as hard maple (sugar or
black maple), but it's a *lot* harder than soft maple (usually red maple,
sometimes silver or bigleaf). For a dining table, given the choice between
soft maple and quartersawn beech, IMO the beech wins, hands down. Hard maple
vs. quartersawn beech depends mostly on visual appeal; either one is plenty
hard enough for a dining table.

Beech is hard enough to make plane bodies from, which by design
have to withstand abuse, by being dragged over miles of rough
lumber and by being smacked with a hammer on ends and topdeck.
Interesting that you see more old beech planes than maple if the
latter is significantly harder or more stable.

Looks like those old plane bodies were cut from split lumber, which
would be even more expensive than QS. Split lumber is the most
stable, since the fibers all run parallel to the surfaces.

Both woods age beautifully, with beech taking on a deep ivory color
and glow.