Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Cutting Marble Vanity Top

On May 11, 2:16 pm, BobR wrote:

I am sure that some smoothing will be needed so thanks. Hope you are
right about the "soft" part. I spent way too much on those vanities
(over $3k) to screw them up.

This little Makita tile saw is surprisingly useful.
http://www.tylertool.com/mak4196v338c.html You'll need to take
several passes, but it will work just fine. You can buy them new on
eBay without the battery for $100 less. The same saw without the
water hookup and with a carbide wood blade is very useful when doing
odd trim jobs around the house, particularly when up on a ladder.

An alternative would be one of those super cheap ~4" tile circular
saws.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8993-.../dp/B0000DCZLC
eBay will have a ton of no-name brands that come with a non-segmented
(definitely what you'll want with marble) for next to nothing.

Make one of those 1x plus strip of plywood cutting guides for the saw
to keep the saw foot from damaging the soft marble, and make sure that
you support both sides of the cut and start at the front edge.

You didn't say what sort of marble you have, but some (predominantly
Chinese) marble tends to curl when it absorbs water. Probably not a
worry, but ask the vendor to be safe.