Posted to uk.d-i-y
Drake Drake is offline

Default Good long-lasting sealant/mastik for lead flashing?

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:22:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Joints should be made in such a way as they don't leak. Cracks usually
mean poor workmanship - too long continuous lengths.

Why not simply replace it? Lead flashing is well within the scope of DIY,
and if done properly should have an extremely long life.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not 100% sure that the overlap in
question is the source of the leak, so I don't want to go to too much
trouble at this stage. I'd like to try sealing the overlap first
rather than go to the trouble of replacing the lead. It is a rather
awkward piece of work, with large sheets of lead - part of the
perimeter of a flat roof.

Cheers,

Drake