Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

Default crimp sleeves found on hot/nuetral, residential wiring

On May 9, 1:32 pm, Levitation29 wrote:
I realize crimp sleeves are listed for ground connections,
but I'm replacing some outlets in my '70s era house
and found that uninsulated crimp sleeves, with tape, were
used for creating pigtails at the outlets boxes.

the person removed insulation to expose copper 6" down
one wire, and crimped the other cable/wire in the box
to that.. So there are two wires in the crimp, with
one wire continuing for the pigtail.

From what I understand, uninsulated crimp sleeves
on hot/neutral (even with tape) like this isn't
an approved method. Funny looking at it, because there
are just two wires in the crimp, you can see how the wires
don't touch in some...so that the crimp sleeve would carry
the current, which is bad.

Made me think about the same issue with crimp sleeves
on ground connections. wire to wire contact isn't guaranteed
(especially with plier crimps). I would think an approved
crimp connection must need wire to wire contact (like
you get with a wire nut.

Anyone know if using crimp sleeves and tape on hot/nuetral
was common in the '70s? I'm guessing this was just the behavior
of some local electrician.

It's weird though. You would think that the ground connection
needs to be as robust as any hot/nuetral connection (for instance
it's sized to carry same currents nowadays)...so NEC must
think it's a robust connector (crimp sleeve). so theoretically
the only issue would be the taping as insulation.

-lev

common practice it is, just make sure the wires are twisted then
crimped perferably if not at least put a twist on the wires. in the
area of bare wire. ive seen these connections without a twist burn up
the wires makes a really big mess. the connections on your hot and
nuetral wires are far far more important than the ground. if they are
loose (bad) they can start a fire. a loose or bad ground might under
certain conditions might cause a shock hazard